What do you consider the essential tools for the garden
Curly Offline
I just posted on another thread about using a hoe and realised that it's one of my main garden tools as I can cover a lot of ground using it, reaching areas without having to step on the beds also weeding in between plants that might be difficult to reach and most important better to lean against than a spade when having a rest. So what's your essential garden tools?
[-] The following 2 users Like Curly's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have 4 main tools that I have floating about. My felco secateurs - these are with me most days or on my kitchen table Big Grin I also use a small handfork, I also use a small hand tool. It's similar to a hoe with a claw thing on the other side? So I can use as a hoe or use the claw bit to drag the debris stuff/tall weeds etc. my garden isn't very clear! I do most garden sitting down - I find that bending angle makes my back worse - same as the bending for tying in toms. I really wish I could use a proper hoe as when I do use it It does make a huge difference quickly.
I also plant in bigger stuff that I start off in pots ( flowers mainly) and to dig the holes I use a pointed spade with a short handle- about 18inches long. My husband bought it for a tenner and I love it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
This "cultiweeder" is my essential tool - on a long handle. 

https://wolfgarten-tools.co.uk/products/...eeder-10cm

I use it as a hoe, for cutting drills, raking, levering out roots......
Also a metal shafted fork that won't snap as all the wooden ones have done!

My gardening companion is a builder's bucket  containing secateurs, hand trowel, gloves, string and scissors - this goes everywhere with me - except to bed. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think I need a builders bucket...I keep thinking I should wear an apron with multi pockets.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I tried one of those tool belt things - every time I bent over the stuff would fall out!
This time of year, there's a plastic container in the bucket for the fruit I pick too.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Scarlet

Stem20 Offline
The tool i use the most is a bulb planter, it's the same size as a 75mm pot which I start most thing off in, couple of twists and you have a perfect hole to drop the plant in.
[-] The following 5 users Like Stem20's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Mikey Offline
I've got a very small-headed long-handled hoe, its a little over 2" wide which I picked up at a second-hand fair, that is used a lot around my veg. After that my firelighting knife with a flint, a length of string which is always in my pocket, stainless steel spade, Azada, a rake and secateurs and I'm pretty good for most tasks. I can turn my small hoe upside down as a dibber if necessary, though I prefer to use a trowel.
A pocket knife is not a weapon in the right hands it’s an essential garden tool.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikey's post:
  • Can the Man

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
An old blunt kitchen knife that I use for weeding the borders.
Secateurs - a nice pair of ratchet action Fiskars, perfect for arthritic joints! And my lovely non ratchet Wilkinson Sword ones that are now lost somewhere in the weeds of a client's abandoned veg patch Sad
An Ibis - good for weeding, pulling and back filling rows, digging out mole runs, planting seedlings. Wish the handle was better attached.

It is fascinating what we all find essential - my hoe is rusting away at the back of the shed, for example!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Doesn’t matter how many toys I have if I haven’t the Enthusiasm to do the job that needs doing.
 Also Bob, he’s a tool  Wink .

I’ll get my coat  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 7 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, JJB, Mikey, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Smal hand fork and trowel, my orange bucket, and my kneeling pad that my grandsons bought me years ago. It’s a piece of blue foam and seems to be water resistant and it says my granddad is the worlds best gardener. They also got me a sign for grandads shed the place where things are brought to be mended.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway