Supports for clematis
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
On the back of receiving 10 plants this week. ....

What supports do you use for yours?

I've a couple of Montana - they are group 1 and don't need cutting back and are pretty much thugs.

I've also got some Viticellas - group 3. Fast growing and are generally chopped right back in Spring and flower on all new growth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have a Hagley Hybrid climbing up trellis against a NE facing wall, all others (group 2s) are climbing up solid plastic mesh attached to walls and fences (NW facing).
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
If you have any trees in your garden they make a good support for clematis. Smile Cool I have an apple tree I am trying to train a clematis up.
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have some clematis already and they are grown through trees or roses. I'm never very good at the DIY aspect of gardening - well, can't be bothered with it really Big Grin. When I'm in the garden I want to sow or plant not do diy! But I need some support ideas....
I would like to get some colour in my pond area, but it's all stone ...the clematis needs to be trained over and across walls. I'm not sure wires are the right thing? And I dont really want something as obvious as a wooden trellis.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man