DIY Tofu
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Years ago, I used to make tofu from soya beans. It was such hard work, grinding the beans to grits, cooking them, curdling the liquid, straining the curds from the whey and pressing the curds. 
Recently I've been reading about making "tofu" from other beans and lentils. Tonight, a recipe for Burmese tofu dropped in my inbox and this seems far simpler - it doesn't start with beans but with bean, pea or chickpea flour. https://hodmedods.co.uk/blogs/recipes/burmese-tofu

I have some Marrowfat pea flour (use by 30/9/22 !!) so not much to lose if it doesn't work. The flour and water batter is sitting in a jug overnight, fermenting, and tomorrow I'll add more water & salt and cook it up.  I hope its a success as I have more pea flour to use up. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s very interesting. I’ll be honest I’ve never tried tofu !
I’m very tempted to try this. I might be adding some chickpea flour to my next shopping list.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
One way of using up chickpea flour I suppose, whilst I've had tofu in various guises, I never cottoned on to it really. If I decide to go vegetarian I might give it a go. I made cashew nut cream as an experiment once, now that was very nice but as it was a bit of a faff so I didn't bother again. The cashews were just as nice un processed. Let us know how it goes, it's very intriguing.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Here's a Red lentil tofu which looks easy! https://itdoesnttastelikechicken.com/eas...ntil-tofu/
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

I've made it! Only took a few minutes to cook/thicken up.
It looks and tastes like mushy peas, without the chunky bits. Once its cooled, it can go in the fridge to firm up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Mushy peas? Yuk. Well that's a no from me Smile if it suits you Veggie it sounds an easy protein.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(22-07-2024, 03:07 PM)JJB Wrote: Mushy peas? Yuk. Well that's a no from me Smile if it suits you Veggie it sounds an easy protein.
Given that its made from Marrowfat Pea flour its not likely to taste of much/mush else.
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m sold. I love mushy peas. Bob would hate it. Which is also not an issue for me  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I was going to have some for dinner tonight but, it hasn't firmed up at all!!! Maybe tomorrow. Big Grin
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
The "tofu" did firm up overnight, but not enough to be able to cut it. Sadly, I have decided it's a failed experiment.
IF I try it again, I'll make less of it - about half the recipe as it makes too much for one person and I doubt that it would freeze well.
Maybe I'll try the red lentil one next time as I'm sure I have some lentils knocking around. If it doesn't work, I feel it would be easier to find a use for lentils, than it is for Green pea flour.
  • JJB, Small chilli