Shells
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know egg shells broken up are a source of calcium and slug deterrent . Can any shell be broken up and put on the garden? Having mussels for tea  Big Grin .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
"Shell on Earth" sell processed whelk shells for the garden. https://www.shellonearth.co.uk/shellscompostssubstrates
The little house down west was in a cockle picking area. Lots of locals has cockle shell paths.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
It’s almost not worth crushing my own after looking at those prices. Haven’t looked at delivery.
The garden that I visit on occasion, lip na cloiche has a crushed oyster shell pathway. The noise when you walk on it is just lovely.
It’s one of those noises you don’t get bored of, like a babbling brook or the sound of the ocean.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know what you mean about the sound of walking on shells. Lovely.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I thought the shells had to be ground up and dissolved in vinegar before they release their calcium for plants but the sound of walking on shells is a lovely reminder of the seaside.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I mistakenly put mussel shells in the compost bin. That was five years ago and I stll keep diggng them up whole and as good as new!

Out of interest I had a friend who was a bottle digger in old tips. He reckoned oyster shells found in 100 year old land fill were a sure sign of wealth and usually came with up market glass gin bottles etc for his collection! Go further back in time though and they were a poor mans food and are probably still burrid whole in the ground even nowRolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I do intend on smashing them up. But I think I’ll stick to putting lime on the beds . While I have some. I might re visit the smashed shells when I run out of lime. I remember from past experiences, they are surprisingly hard to smash. Unless of course you don’t want them to brake. Then they’ll fall into pieces as soon as you look at them!
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny