Small is beautiful/Size matters
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm not talking about me personally although my Mother thought I was beautiful (she had to say that!). I'm talking about vegetables and my preference to  choose smaller varieties of veg/fruit in the belief that they'll mature faster and, perhaps, taste fresher than bigger, more mature veg.
For example, I don't attempt to grow beefsteak tomatoes - preferring small/medium sized ones. 
Courgettes definitely win over marrows. I'm struggling to even sow those Giant pumpkins (sorry SC/JJB).
Baby leeks - not the huge ones they wave about at shows.
Small cucumbers, not the bigguns.
Small sweet lettuce - not big floppy things.
etc etc. 
How about you?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Garrett, JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I hadn't really thought about it but you're right, courgettes rather than marrows, although the odd courgette does become a marrow doesn't it. I've grown compact broccoli this year so I can net it easily. Beans don't really follow as I like both DFB and CFB. My favourite tomatoes are cherry ones although I grow the odd beefsteak one for roasting as a veg. I think it's the competitive growers that go for size over flavour.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Garrett Offline
Thinking about it, I do prefer smaller veg. I don't have a greenhouse so smaller veg grows so much better for me. I've tried beefsteak tomatoes but I don't get a good harvest. In contrast, I'm swimming in cherry tomatoes.

Same goes for sweet peppers where I've switched to smaller ones like Jimmy Nardello and Mini Bell. Miniature White cucumber is tiny at under 5cm so it can be eaten in one go rather than stored in the fridge.

My favourite lettuce is Little Gem, a small cos type. I also prefer the single portion winter squash and pumpkins. Much easier to grow and cook.

I even prefer shallots to onions. Less fussy, store well and I can use the whole thing in cooking. I'd never get through a whole onion in one go.
[-] The following 4 users Like Garrett's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes I mostly agree…………but. I like them all what ever the size. If I’ve grown it, I’m proud of it and will enjoy it. Having said that. I don’t like tiny veg. Things like the tiny tomatoes like currant sized and tiny chillies for example. They’re to much like hard work to harvest or use.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(06-06-2024, 09:19 PM)Small chilli Wrote: Yes I mostly agree…………but. I like them all what ever the size. If I’ve grown it, I’m proud of it and will enjoy it. Having said that. I don’t like tiny veg. Things like the tiny tomatoes like currant sized and tiny chillies for example. They’re to much like hard work to harvest or use.

Totally agree,  currant toms are a waste of space.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I stopped growing large show onions a long time ago because of the space required to grow them.Living alone,smaller varieties of all veg suit me better when I do partake of them! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
I like big garlic, onions, tomatoes, peppers and berries. Beefsteak tomatoes are less sweet and more balanced than cherries, better for cooking, less seedy and have more texture. Big garlic and onions are easier to peel, big peppers are easier to deseed and chop and big berries because are easier to pick.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I'm in favour of big veg too. Last year (or may be the year before) my first ripe tomato was a beafsteak. Large onions, garlic carrots.... are easier for me in the kitchen and always taste home grown.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie