Pumpkin & tromba competitions 2024
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I noticed our pumpkin competition organiser hasn’t started a thread yet Big Grin . So here it is.
I have no idea if a tromba competition is happening this year, anyone? (My second year not growing them Sad  ) reports here if it is. 

So how’s everyone doing? Have we all sown our competition seeds?……………………….Veggie?  Wink
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Some people expect me to do everything for them - including growing pumpkins. Tongue
I have sown some tromba seeds - does that count??
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

doublyjonah Offline
I have pumpkin seedlings out at the plot but they have been the same single true leaf size for weeks. I had to search for my tromba seeds and they're just sprouting now. Hopefully they're the right seed this time...

Given how slow all my annuals are this year, I am not confident of growing anything much that likes warm weather. Plus the slugs and I seem particularly interested in the same things this year.
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-05-2024, 10:07 AM)Veggie Wrote: Some people expect me to do everything for them - including growing pumpkins. Tongue
I have sown some tromba seeds - does that count??
It counts for the tromba competition    Big Grin .
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-05-2024, 10:18 AM)doublyjonah Wrote: I have pumpkin seedlings out at the plot but they have been the same single true leaf size for weeks. I had to search for my tromba seeds and they're just sprouting now. Hopefully they're the right seed this time...

Given how slow all my annuals are this year, I am not confident of growing anything much that likes warm weather. Plus the slugs and I seem particularly interested in the same things this year.
I’m very tempted to sow tromba. Especially now I know you’ve only recently started yours. 
no idea where I’d grow it?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've no idea where I'd grow them either, given that I've been unable to grow any for several years, even though I've sown seeds, tried growmg them in the GH and seem to have completely lost the knack with trombas & pumpkins.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-05-2024, 10:57 AM)Veggie Wrote: I've no idea where I'd grow them either,  given that I've been unable to grow any for several years, even though I've sown seeds, tried growmg them in the GH and seem to have completely lost the knack with trombas & pumpkins.
That’s just heartbreaking    Sad . I’d be lost without them. You’re still good with courgettes & cucumbers though? I hope so. What you going to eat all summer if you’re not harvesting 32 courgettes a day    Big Grin .

(Small confession, I like growing them as much as chillies, if not more) 
  • JJB, Veggie

doublyjonah Offline
(28-05-2024, 10:37 AM)Small chilli Wrote:
(28-05-2024, 10:18 AM)doublyjonah Wrote: I have pumpkin seedlings out at the plot but they have been the same single true leaf size for weeks. I had to search for my tromba seeds and they're just sprouting now. Hopefully they're the right seed this time...

I’m very tempted to sow tromba. Especially now I know you’ve only recently started yours. 
no idea where I’d grow it?
I don't have a place or support ready for it, so I think it's time for you to sow Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like doublyjonah's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've got 3 trombas and 1 climbing courgette planted outside with their 2nd or 3rd set of true leaves going up the climbing frame. My single Challenge Pumpkin from several sown is only at 1 true leaf stage and still in gh. I've a couple of baked potato winter squashes outside too. Not sure I'll have a pumpkin worth shouting about. There are 12 courgette plants of varying shapes and colours planted out. I'm promising to cut them small and try not to compost too many. Fat chance of that!
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
My courgettes, in the pond, are deceased. Sad There's one in the GH, that's all. Some seedlings in the GH that need to put on some growth before they can go out, and I've sown some squash & tromba seeds. Its been a slow start for everything this year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli