What ever next?
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Online the Mirror today was spouting rubbish (no change there then) warning us about a plant more dangerous than Japanese Knotweed.  The buddleia. 
https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/garde...k-32852726
We're told it could reduce house prices, kill off native species by distracting pollinators etc. so we should all kill off our buddleias. What tosh.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Really!!  Angry !!! 
We are talking just the normal purple stuff right? Not some super thug that’s had an accident in a lab , like Dr banner  Big Grin  . 
Sorry I refuse to click on that link  Wink  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have a single buddleia which was growing in the cement between my brickwork which I liberated Rolleyes . There are no buddleias growing nearby so it must have come some distance with the wind or a bird?
It was a FREE flowering plant, planted in a sunny spot for the butterflies who love it! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've got several in the garden, orange, deep purple and mauve. None are invasive. I occasionally propagate them unintentionally by using buddleia sticks to support summat. I even gave a big pot of buddleia 'sticks' to a neighbour who wanted to fill gaps in a hedge. I'm not digging mine out.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(27-05-2024, 11:17 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Really!!  Angry !!! 
We are talking just the normal purple stuff right? Not some super thug that’s had an accident in a lab , like Dr banner  Big Grin  . 
Sorry I refuse to click on that link  Wink  Big Grin

Bear in mind it is the Mirror.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Why is a company which sells sheds giving horticultural advice? Just seems like an advert for that company, with a link to their website included in the article. Shed company pays The Mirror for an article, The Mirror writes a sensationalist headline, gets it trending on social media, the shed shop gets loads of clicks, The Mirror gets lots of ad revenue. Rinse and repeat. Tabloids are absolute rags. They were bad enough in print form, but online, and particularly The Mirror Group websites, they're just clickbait farms.

There's loads of buddleia growing in strange places in cities all over the country. I've seen it on top of church bell towers and 10 metres up in the old, giant sandstone walls in some of Liverpool's train stations.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
I'd rather have Buddleias than the Japanese Knotweed that's growing in the land behind our house.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Marshalls are offering a deal (maybe) leek plants at less than 22p each i.e.40 for £9.99. Is it just me or is that extortionate and definitely not a bargain? Or am I being miserly again?
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
When I see offers like that I ask myself "How much would a leek cost to buy in a shop?
Morrisons are selling 5 trimmed leeks for £1.50 = 30p each. Marshalls seedlings are 22p and they need to be grown to edible size and survive all the vagaries of weather, pests, etc. The offer doesn't include P&P either.

Deal or No Deal .............No Deal. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(05-06-2024, 10:49 AM)JJB Wrote: Marshalls are offering a deal (maybe) leek plants at less than 22p each i.e.40 for £9.99.  Is it just me or is that extortionate and definitely not a bargain? Or am I being miserly again?
You should have bought them - they were a bargain!
DTBrown are offering 40 plants for £13.90 (39p each) plus £4.95 P&P https://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/products/...K24.SHCV6i
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli