Wish I had read the label?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
...........if I had, I wouldn't have bought my flavoured lamb steak with a minty marinade from Morrisons.

Eating carnivore means that I usually don't have to search a list of ingredients as 9 times out of 10 their is only one...............the meat itself!

I assumed a minty lamb steak would only have 'mint' as a flavouring?, how wrong could I be?

I was dismayed to find this list of ingredients!

Marinated Lamb leg steak 90%

INGREDIENTS

Lamb
Sugar
Glucose syrup
Caster Sugar
Maize Starch
Maltrodextrin
Salt
Tomato
Demerara sugar
Chilli flakes
Chilli powder
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Tomato powder
Lemon
Coriander
Cumin
Yeast extract
Paprika
Aniseed
Red pepper flakes
Red pepper powder
Caremalised sugar powder
Parsley
Yeast extract powder
Stabalisers
Xanthan gum
Guar gum
Acacia gum
Ginger powder
Smoked paprika
Fennel seed
Cumin seed
Garlic flakes
Cayenne pepper
Corriander powder
Cinnamon powder
Beetroot powder
Onion
MINT
Dried garlic
Kibbled onion
Smoked salt
Acidity regulators
Citric acid
Malic acid
Sunflower oil
Fennel powder
Cumin powder
Paprika extract
Garlic
Ginger
Potassium chloride
Dextrose
Turmeric powder
Nutmeg
Clove powder
Oregano
Corriander leaf
Thickeners
Xanthum gum
Orange
Cardamon
Cinnamon
Flavouring
Chilli pepper
Anniseed extract
Rapeseed oil
Caremelised sugar
Spirit vinegar
Lemon oil
Ginger extract
clementines
Coriander extract
Turmeric
Capsicum

In total 77 additives and 90% meat. I  think this is flaming ridiculous and in future will buy an unflavoured lamb leg steak and add a tiny bit of homemade mint sauce!!!! Rolleyes  Rant over, but check your labels folks! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, JJB

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Must have taken you ages to type that lot out! How ridiculous when a few simple chopped mint leaves would do the trick
Was it YS? Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

toomanytommytoes Offline
It's a lot of ingredients, but most of them are spices or plant powders. The potassium chloride is probably there to reduce the salt content, yeast extract is a flavour enhancer and the gums help to thicken the sauce. Five types of sugar seems like overkill, and I don't think I've ever put sugar in a marinade before. The primary ingredient in most marinades is usually oil, which is more expensive than sugar, followed by acid (vinegar/lemon juice) and aromatics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
(08-05-2024, 12:40 PM)Veggie Wrote: Must have taken you ages to type that lot out! How ridiculous when a few simple chopped mint leaves would do the trick
Was it YS? Wink
Yes it did,while I was grilling the steak,and no it wasn't YS.

I just wonder what made up the 10% that wasn't meat as there was only a thin covering of the marinade?Couldit it have been the water they pumped into it to make it weigh more?

It will make me examine labels in future though.

Supposedly ruminant animal meat is the best for you and some people do better on beef and others on lamb? I personally seem to do better on lamb,and itis more satiating so I eat less and keep the weight off? It could be becauseo of the fat content I suppose,but itis more expensive so I don't know whether I could afford a permanent switch?
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You should contact Morries and ask them to explain the 10% difference. Maybe they'll send you a voucher for some more. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(08-05-2024, 07:32 PM)Veggie Wrote: You should contact Morries and ask them to explain the 10% difference. Maybe they'll send you a voucher for some more. Big Grin
I think I would rather just do without the additives! Rolleyes
  • Bren, JJB

Vinny Offline
Ah ha...........the plot thickens! Big Grin

At the same time as I bought the lamb I bought some flavoured pork loin steaks. On digging them out to cook today I realised they have exactly the same ingredient list and are only 90% meat! Rolleyes
I now wonder whether this is a catch all list of ingredients which lists everything they have in the factory so no one can say that they have an allergy?  .......as every ingrdient possible is listed? Pretty sneaky if that is the case!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
I think, legally speaking, they are required to list what's in the sauce and not everything that's handled in the factory. They do have to mention that the factory handles certain ingredients such as nuts and sesame, for allergy purposes. If they do the butchery and packaging in store, I think it's likely that the base marinade is identical for all of the different flavours, and they just wang a bit of mint in there if it's supposed to be minty. 'Flavoured pork loin steak' seems a big ambiguous, why don't they say what flavour it's supposed to be?
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-05-2024, 12:38 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: I think, legally speaking, they are required to list what's in the sauce and not everything that's handled in the factory. They do have to mention that the factory handles certain ingredients such as nuts and sesame, for allergy purposes. If they do the butchery and packaging in store, I think it's likely that the base marinade is identical for all of the different flavours, and they just wang a bit of mint in there if it's supposed to be minty. 'Flavoured pork loin steak' seems a big ambiguous, why don't they say what flavour it's supposed to be?
Sounds feasible but it had an orangy colour and didn't taste anything like the lamb steak?

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I wonder, with all those herbs and spices listed, what that random "flavouring" was. Something chemical, no doubt.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu