Homemade Cheese
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Does anyone make their own cheese? 
I've just found, in the back of the cupboard "The Big Cheese making Kit" (Best before January 2014  Blush). https://www.bigcheesemakingkit.com/shop/...cotta-kit/
Its a kit for making Mozzarella & Ricotta, Most of the kit will be OK (butter muslin & thermometer) but I think the vegetarian rennet tablets may be past their best. Don't know what the shelf life of Citric Acid is but the Sea salt is probably usable. That's all there is in the box - apart from instructions.
The recipes need 8 pints of whole milk. 
So I'm curious to know whether any of you make cheese and whether the effort is worthwhile - before I splash out on some rennet and milk!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Never made cheese but that sounds fascinating. I wonder how much cheese you'd get from your 8pts. I reckon (purely opinion, not scientific) the citric acid would be fine. My citric must be at least that old and I'm not dead yet. Smile
Rennet is so much easier to say than 'Enzymatic Microbial Coagulant' Go on give it a go.
Looking online, plant rennet comes from cardoons, artichokes or nettles. There's a challenge, homemade rennet too.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
According to the website each batch of milk makes 900g of cheese. Plus you have the whey to use for baking, or whatever.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(29-04-2024, 05:52 PM)Veggie Wrote: According to the website each batch of milk makes 900g of cheese. Plus you have the whey to use for baking, or whatever.

That's rather a lot of Mozzerella or Ricotta to get through. But think of the cruciferous veg or nuts and seeds you could mix with it  Big Grin is there a cheese eating challenge in your book?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I could chop it into chunks and vacuum seal it for later. Big Grin
.............and NO there aren't any cheese eating challenges , unfortunately. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I'm sure I have a similar  kit at the  back of the cupboard that someone bought me for Crimbo many moons ago? I don't like the idea that much that I can be bothered to hunt it out though! Rolleyes
I remember my Mam making cottage cheese in a bit of net curtain with milk that had went off! Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I tried making cheese once years ago when we had 2 goats. No idea how I made it now as didn't have a kit. I remember adding garlic to it to mask the taste a bit and was glad when my sister said she liked it and took it away. We did have a yoghurt maker that was an insulated plastic tub with 2 lids that processed overnight without using any electric which was always in use.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks Mark, I have one of those yogurt makers too. Maybe I should dig that out of the back of the cupboard and put the cheese kit back. I could use the muslin to strain the yogurt and, perhaps turn that into cream cheese.?

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(03-05-2024, 09:09 PM)Veggie Wrote: Thanks Mark, I have one of those yogurt makers too. Maybe I should dig that out of the back of the cupboard and put the cheese kit back. I could use the muslin to strain the yogurt and, perhaps turn that into cream cheese.?

That is how I made the cheese. The yoghurt maker came with a strainer. Tried a couple of times making cheese with it but nobody particularly liked it, including me so stuck to yoghurt which was often used in place of custard.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Veggie

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I've made goat's cheese too, years ago. It turned out OK and tasted good, but the amount of cheese I got compared to the amount of milk it took made it seem not worth while. Your eight pints (4.5ltrs) of milk for 900g cheese is similar. You'll end up with 3+ litres of whey, that's a lot for baking.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moth's post:
  • Veggie