A very old apple tree - was it grafted?
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've been told that the land behind my house (and the neighbours) was planted with apple trees as part of the WW2 War effort. Unfortunately, most of these trees have died/fallen over and survive only as stumps. One of the trees is still alive and fruiting - not bad for an 80+ year old tree that receives no TLC whatsoever. 

This thread is not about that tree however - its about a stump that has a substantial side shoot. I thought this was a sucker off the root stock and have ignored it. This week, for the first time, it has flowered! In fact, these are the first apple flowers to open this year. 

All the trees that were here in 1980 were very tall,  so there doesn't seem to have been any attempt to graft them onto dwarfing rootstocks. 
Might they have been grafted for another reason? 

Needless to say that I shall be leaving it to see what happens. I like surprises.  Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
My apples are no where near flowering yet but I have a pear tree in a pot which is flowering. I have a couple of fruit trees flowering that I planted as bare rooted plants last year which I asumed must have been pears as well,but now you have me wondering whether they are in fact apples.
In case you are wondering I was given three bare rooted trees off my Sister and they had no labelling so I stuck them in, onedied but the other two are flowering,one deep crimson flowers and the other white.
I also like surprises! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie