Holly tree?
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I bought this cheaply YS (£3.00) from Morries a while ago and the label says its a holly tree?

The leaves are black and it isn't as spiky as the hollies I see in the woods. I thought the colouration may have been because it was a young plant? but young hollies in the woods are green and spiky! Huh
I love its colouration as it is so hopefully it won't grow into a boring green holly! Rolleyes

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons

Admin Offline
The Boss
(19-04-2024, 02:10 PM)Vinny Wrote: I bought this cheaply YS (£3.00) from Morries a while ago and the label says its a holly tree?

The leaves are black and it isn't as spiky as the hollies I see in the woods. I thought the colouration may have been because it was a young plant? but young hollies in the woods are green and spiky! Huh
I love its colouration as it is so hopefully it won't grow into a boring green holly! Rolleyes
[color=#666666]

Ilex x meserveae 'Gentle'

Sometimes referred to as a Blue Holly, this is a slow growing evergreen that reaches up to sixty centimetres in height.
This plant has small waxy densely packed leaves which are a blue green colour from spring to autumn. New shoots tend to be red during the growing season and leaves turn a burgundy purple colour for the autumn, adding some gorgeous colour to your garden at different points in the year. Produces an abundance of white flowers in spring.
This plant requires a rich fertile soil that is free draining but is tolerant of most soil types. It grows in either a sunny position or partial shade and is happy in all aspects.
This plant grows well as low hedge and looks good in drifts, planted in a mixed border. If you have no garden then this plant will grow in a container on a balcony quite happily, keep the soil moist and feed with a feed well in spring and early summer.
High quality pot grown plants in 2- 3 litre containers.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 3 users Like Admin's post:
  • JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Thanks Admin,I had an inkling this wasn't your 'common or garden' holly. It's in a basket pot just now but I will have to find a showy spot in the garden for it! TYVM! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That’s a very pretty holly.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Vinny