The old chicken run
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Bright ideas needed please. Big Grin
As you know, I don't have chickens now so their old run is looking for other uses. 
Its fenced on all sides but there is no roof. 
The sides are higher at the door end (about 7') but only a couple of feet high at the far end. The roof was removed so that I could stand up in it. Putting netting over it would not work.
Its in the shade most of the day but I may be able to  lower some of the nearby shrubs to give a bit more light. 
The floor has been lined with chicken wire to stop rats so its not suitable for root crops. 
The floor has been divided into two halves - the upper half (door end) had gravel on it and this is mixed with the soil now.
The other half has plenty of well manured  soil/compost over the wire. 

How would you use this space? I have some ideas but thought I'd see what you could suggest as two heads or twenty heads are better than one.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Even though it’s shaded and not a candidate for netting. I think I’d still try fruit bushes.
Or plan B would dismantle it. Use the space for something else. And put your fence up somewhere else maybe if needed?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

Found an old photo of the chicken run. Dismantling it would be too much work for little reward.
  • Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Ok plan C  Big Grin .
Uses it as a climbing frame for something? 
Sweet peas 
Morning glory 
Rose 
Honeysuckle 
Clematis 

Peas
Beans
Cucumber 
Squash 

Something I’ve not thought of  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
How far down is the floor netting? Digging down to cut it out might widen your choices for growing. Although it seems a waste to not use chicken manured soil, forget about growing and use it to store things that don't need to be weatherproof.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
If you put some posts in at the short corners you could throw flimsy net over and maintain enough head height.
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(10-04-2024, 09:14 AM)JJB Wrote: How far down is the floor netting? Digging down to cut it out might widen your choices for growing. Although it seems a waste to not use chicken manured soil,  forget about growing and use it to store things that don't need to be weatherproof.
I'm not sure how deep the wire floor is - the soil gets deeper the further away from the entrance you go. Removing the wire would mean removing all the soil first - that is another job I don't want to do! 
Initially, I thought of filling crates with the soil and planting into those. That's still an option although I'm tempted to do some experimental plantings, climbers like peas and beans around the edges and maybe courgettes or salads in the middle. 
I planned to take some photos today but it hasn't stopped raining.  Sad

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(10-04-2024, 07:59 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(10-04-2024, 09:14 AM)JJB Wrote: How far down is the floor netting? Digging down to cut it out might widen your choices for growing. Although it seems a waste to not use chicken manured soil,  forget about growing and use it to store things that don't need to be weatherproof.
I'm not sure how deep the wire floor is - the soil gets deeper the further away from the entrance you go. Removing the wire would mean removing all the soil first - that is another job I don't want to do! 
Initially, I thought of filling crates with the soil and planting into those. That's still an option although I'm tempted to do some experimental plantings, climbers like peas and beans around the edges and maybe courgettes or salads in the middle. 
I planned to take some photos today but it hasn't stopped raining.  Sad

I expect anything you're able to plant/sow will root through any wire netting embedded in the soil. Will any climbing plants shade the inner plants?
Greetings from Salisbury
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Yes about the roots - I'm not worried about that, having pulled out vinca, raspberry canes and brambles yesterday. It'd be no good for carrots or spuds though!
Its all shady, deliberately put the run there so that the chooks wouldn't get overheated in the "sun" whatever that is.
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
    Door end.
    Inside - dogs for scale.
    West side
    East side - this is now clear of Vinca!
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, MartinH