2024 Tomato Grow List
JJB Offline
Moonraker
So far my list is:
Some have been sown, others are waiting in the wings.

Greenhouse

Summer Frolic - red big Cherry. New.
Bloody Butcher - early small salad. Didn't have much success last year, giving it another go.
Honeycomb - orange/yellow cherry. Sweet. May even replace Sungold in future years
Sungold - everyone knows this one
Jaune Flamme - large cherry, dark orange. New. I might find it too thick skinned for P's liking. All the more for me Smile
Piglet Willie - Dark red. Salad I think.   This and Jaune Flamme courtesy of Garrett, thanks very much.
Artisan Pink Bumblebee - Pretty pink cherry. New.
Burlesque - Beef. Red and very big. Good flavour last year.
Malachite Box - Beef. Green. Plant a bit weak but I loved the taste last year.
Purple Cherokee - Beef. Dark red. I liked the flavour last year.
Country Taste - Beef. Red. New. Supposedly disease resistant.

Outside - all blight resistant

Oh Happy Day - Big salad. Red. New
Crimson Crush - Salad. Red. New
Mountain Magic - Red. Did well for me last year
Primabella, Primavera - Large cherry. Red. Couldn't make my mind up which one, so decided on  both.

Outside in pots (as long as vine weevil permits)

Orangeto - Orange cherry. Semi bush. Supposedly sweet
Divinity - Red large cherry. Failed to germinate last year so its being given the chance to redeem itself.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 5 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
A lot of hybrids this year as an experiment. I was really disappointed with the greenhouse yield last year and am interested in how hybrids do indoors. The two open pollinated greenhouse varieties will be (hopefully) grafted onto Estamino F1 rootstock for some extra vigour and disease resistance. If the grafting is a success then I'll probably ditch the hybrids in the greenhouse and go back to interesting open pollinated varieties next year.

Almost all of the outdoor varieties are blight resistant, except for Orange Paruche, Sparky XSL and Super Mama. One plant each of most, except for Nagina and Super Mama which will (maybe) be 9 of each.

Greenhouse:

Big Daddy F1
Bountiful F1
Burlesque F1
Girl Girl's Weird Thing
Pink Honeymoon F1
Polaris
Rose Crush F1
Y Ddraig Goch F1

Outdoors:

Vine Cherries/Mediums:

Black Moon F1
Cocktail Crush F1
Crimson Crush F1
Crokini F1
Merrygold F1
Orange Paruche
Rubylicious F1
Sparky XSL
Toddler F1

Vine Plums:

Nagina F1
Super Mama F1

Bush Cherries:

Celano F1
Lizzano F1
Losetto F1
Orangeto F1
Romello F1
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(04-03-2024, 05:55 PM)JJB Wrote: Malachite Box - Beef. Green. Plant a bit weak but I loved the taste last year.
What did you like about the taste? From memory, I found it quite sweet and mild.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(05-03-2024, 06:43 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(04-03-2024, 05:55 PM)JJB Wrote: Malachite Box - Beef. Green. Plant a bit weak but I loved the taste last year.
What did you like about the taste? From memory, I found it quite sweet and mild.

Yep. The sweetness appealed. They sliced nicely with a more tangy tomato in a salad. Not hugely tomatoey but I'm a fan of sweet tomatoes and malachite box hit the spot. It is the sweetest beef tomato I've found. Thanks for the seed swap seeds.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(05-03-2024, 07:41 PM)JJB Wrote:

Yep. The sweetness appealed. They sliced nicely with a more tangy tomato in a salad. Not hugely tomatoey but I'm a fan of sweet tomatoes and malachite box hit the spot. It is the sweetest beef tomato I've found. Thanks for the seed swap seeds.
I must insist that you refer to it by its proper, Russian name - Malakhitovaya Shkatulka  Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(06-03-2024, 11:02 AM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
(05-03-2024, 07:41 PM)JJB Wrote:

I must insist that you refer to it by its proper, Russian name - Malakhitovaya Shkatulka  Wink

In your dreams TMTT, I have enough trouble with English   Tongue
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(05-03-2024, 06:40 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: A lot of hybrids this year as an experiment. I was really disappointed with the greenhouse yield last year and am interested in how hybrids do indoors. The two open pollinated greenhouse varieties will be (hopefully) grafted onto Estamino F1 rootstock for some extra vigour and disease resistance. If the grafting is a success then I'll probably ditch the hybrids in the greenhouse and go back to interesting open pollinated varieties next year.

Almost all of the outdoor varieties are blight resistant, except for Orange Paruche, Sparky XSL and Super Mama. One plant each of most, except for Nagina and Super Mama which will (maybe) be 9 of each.

I've had good results with submarine rootstock from Mole seeds since 2018. Germination not brilliant, 18 out of about 33 seeds this year so far but last year had 100% success with the grafts and would have been a bumper crop except that the season was cut short due to leaf mould. I see that Estamino says good resistance to leaf mould but I would think that would not apply to whatever you graft onto it. The varieties I grafted last year were;

gardeners delight, 
alicante, 
galina,
orange banana,
delicious,
brandy wine
omars (Lebanese)

A good plum (for disease resistance) is Roma VF. I grew 2 last year and got 9kg total.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, toomanytommytoes

toomanytommytoes Offline
Do you have any tips for grafting? I've got 10 Estamino seeds and only need 2 grafted plants, so hopefully that's enough.

Interestingly, Johnny Seeds prime their rootstock seeds because of the poor germination rates - https://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-libr...sheet.html

Last year was quite bad for leaf mould for me too. Black tomatoes in particular seem quite susceptible to it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes toomanytommytoes's post:
  • JJB

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(08-03-2024, 03:12 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Do you have any tips for grafting? I've got 10 Estamino seeds and only need 2 grafted plants, so hopefully that's enough.

Interestingly, Johnny Seeds prime their rootstock seeds because of the poor germination rates - https://www.johnnyseeds.com/growers-libr...sheet.html

Last year was quite bad for leaf mould for me too. Black tomatoes in particular seem quite susceptible to it.

I did this a couple of years ago. It works for me with the small silicone clips that can be reused several times.

https://gardenandgossip.org//showthread.php?tid=894
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • toomanytommytoes

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Think I’m growing this year
Ramblings red stripe. In hanging basket
Black Russian
One other which I’ll be asking your advice on. Just as soon as I’ve worked out exactly what varieties I have.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie