Unexpected garden visitors
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
As it’s not just birds we see in our gardens. I thought a place for everything would be good.

I saw a stoat running up & down in and out of the stone wall/ bank at the top of the garden this morning. What made it extra special was the stoat had its winter coat on. Never seen them all white. Beautiful little thing. 

We’re going to set up a camera trap in the hopes it’ll come back.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(11-02-2024, 12:46 PM)Small chilli Wrote: As it’s not just birds we see in our gardens. I thought a place for everything would be good.

I saw a stoat running up & down in and out of the stone wall/ bank at the top of the garden this morning. What made it extra special was the stoat had its winter coat on. Never seen them all white. Beautiful little thing. 

Not one of your ferrets got loose was it? Big Grin I too, have never seen a stoat with its winter coat but I bet they look 'cute'? Blush
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(11-02-2024, 01:55 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(11-02-2024, 12:46 PM)Small chilli Wrote: As it’s not just birds we see in our gardens. I thought a place for everything would be good.

Not one of your ferrets got loose was it? Big Grin I too, have never seen a stoat with its winter coat but I bet they look 'cute'? Blush
Big Grin Big Grin
definitely not one of my ferrets. This was tiny in comparison. And a lot quicker than my 9 year old girl. 
100% cuteness overload.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I've seen weasels a couple of times (in the 40 years I've been here) but not seen any in last few years. Both times it was a family with several young, once running up and down a discarded plank playing.

The only other time I saw something like a stoat was when we had some guinea fowl in a shed. I heard them squealing and went to see what was the problem and when I got there they were all dead and a white thing was in a corner looking quite vicious. It could have been a stoat. I thought it looked quite big and was definitely white. I may have seen it as bigger than it was because I was very close. I got out of the way to let it out.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie