Find a penny........
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
........pick it up, and it will always bring you luck! Big Grin

I am surprised at the amount of coinage I pick up whilst walking Kato around the streets? People don't seem to value money any more? It seems that if they drop any change, they give it a cursory glance and if it's a small denomination they don't even bend down to pick it up?
I have a simm card slot in my wallet which has a found penny in it. Each time I find a penny I swap it into the wallet and put the other penny into my coin saving sweetie jar. Rolleyes
I don't go scouring the paths and roads for change like a 'Shabby Wedding Hoyoot' but if I do see any coinage I always pick it up. I honestly think people, and especially kids, have no regard for small coinage and will just look at it and walk on.

I often hear a clarttering in the washing machine where I have forgotten to take whatever coinage I have found, out of my trouser pockets. Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I'm sure you're right, Vinnie, for some people, small change isn't worth the effort of picking it up. Gone are the days when you could use a penny for something meaningful - like a public toilet. Big Grin
have to ask, why do you carry a penny around with you?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Vinny Offline
(11-08-2023, 02:39 PM)Veggie Wrote: I'm sure you're right, Vinnie, for some people, small change isn't worth the effort of picking it up. Gone are the days when you could use a penny for something meaningful - like a public toilet. Big Grin
have to ask, why do you carry a penny around with you?
For luck!!!! Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • JJB

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
We used to say
"See a Pin and pick it up, All the day you'll have good luck.
See a pin and let it lie, bad luck you'll have all through the day.

Nobody in my area had a penny to lose so we made do with pins. Big Grin
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(11-08-2023, 05:23 PM)Veggie Wrote: We used to say
"See a Pin and pick it up, All the day you'll have good luck.
See a pin and let it lie, bad luck you'll have all through the day.

Nobody in my area had a penny to lose so we made do with pins. Big Grin
Same rhyme hear but with pennies! Smile They used to be proper large pennies from pound shilling and pence though! Rolleyes

I have viivid memories of finding a 10 bob note when I was a nipper and nearly made myself sick with mint sauce crisps (wonder what happened to those?) Huh

I found a fiver and a twenty pound note recently and still have two half crowns and a threpenny bit I found years ago! Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I remember finding a £5 note too, in a snowy wood where we had gone to buy a Christmas tree. It paid for the tree. Big Grin Shows how long ago it was!
As a kid, I used to stay with my aunt, uncle and my 3 boy cousins (because I was the closest thing my Aunt had to a daughter). One time I went for a walk with my Uncle but instead of walking in the surrounding countryside he walked along the main road, searching the roadside for screws and nuts and bolts - anything that might have fallen off a car! This was at a time when most people could service their own cars and Uncle reckoned that these bits might come on useful for his car sometime.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(11-08-2023, 11:06 PM)Veggie Wrote: I remember finding a £5 note too, in a snowy wood where we had gone to buy a Christmas tree. It paid for the tree. Big Grin Shows how long ago it was!
As a kid, I used to stay with my aunt, uncle and my 3 boy cousins (because I was the closest thing my Aunt had to a daughter). One time I went for a walk with my Uncle but instead of walking in the surrounding countryside he walked along the main road, searching the roadside for screws and nuts and bolts - anything that might have fallen off a car! This was at a time when most people could service their own cars and Uncle reckoned that these bits might come on useful for his car sometime.

Uncle sounds like  my dad. We kids were always on the lookout for bits and bobs, screws, nails and suchlike to bring home for dad in his various workshop. P could never really understand why he kept empty jam jars full of rusty nails etc.  I once found a purse with about £80 in but no ID and reported it to the police who told me to keep it for a couple of months and if I heard nothing it was mine.  It was found outside a pawn shop/cash converters and I always felt so sorry for the person who lost it. No one ever claimed it.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Like you Jen. I found a handbag chucked in the bushes, no contents so I guessed it had been nicked. The thief had, however, not spotted the £20 stashed in the little mirror pocket. Big Grin It must have been there a while as the bag was crawling with insects.
I took it to the police station and the duty cop said they'd throw away the bag (with wildlife) and to come back in 3 months for the money if it wasn't claimed. Needless to say, I was there, 3 months to the day, and was £20 better off.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny