Perennial Veg?
Broadway Offline
Hello Folks

Continuing with my planning for next year I wondered what perennial veg you folks grow and the successes / failures you’ve experienced?

I sowed Asparagus from seed this year so these will be going into the plot either the end of this year or next.

I’ve also ordered some Taunton Deane Kale after seeing a post from Sarriss.

*** Mods, I hope this is in the correct section? ***

Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Proserpina, Scarlet

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Moved your post to "Everything Veggie". Smile

I grow a perennial kale - don't know what it is but its not Daubenton or TauntonDeane. Its a kale I grew from seed several years ago and it keeps on growing. Like most of the perennial brassicas you can take sideshoot cuttings and grow these on.
Also 5 or is it 9 star cauliflower/broccoli.
Perennial leeks (Babington).
Rhubarb.

I don't grow these but Globe artichokes are an option.

I'm sure there are more.............
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina, Small chilli

Broadway Offline
Thanks Veggie

How much space do you give the Kale?

Ah yes I remember reading something about the colly/broccoli, any good?

Leeks, will look at these, again any good?

Rhubarb yes trying from seed as I did years ago.

Will look at Globes as the Mrs likes theseSmile

I've also downloaded some videos on the subject so will review later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man

Jimny14 Offline
Jerusalem artichokes? Not technically perennial I guess but easy enough to harvest and replant some year on year. I generally harvest what I need and leave one decent size one in the ground for next year. No problems so far.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Broadway, you must know by now that I'm a random gardener - I can't give you spacings, I just bung them in and let them self seed, as well as taking cuttings. They grow in clusters.
Same with the Babington leeks. I've never actually eaten one as I want them to grow into a big group, so I let them self seed too.

Basically, I don't grow them for eating but because they're no trouble. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Proserpina

Broadway Offline
(05-06-2020, 01:27 PM)Veggie Wrote: Broadway, you must know by now that I'm a random gardener - I can't give you spacings, I just bung them in and let them self seed, as well as taking cuttings. They grow in clusters.
Same with the Babington leeks. I've never actually eaten one as I want them to grow into a big group, so I let them self seed too.

Basically, I don't grow them for eating but because they're no trouble. Wink
Thanks VeggieSmileSmile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I have just started trying to grow perennial veg and herbs.

I class our fruit trees and bushes as planning for longer term. Also when we took out bramble from edges we replanted with native hedging for us and wildlife. I have planted up Walking onions and perennial leeks with the intention of finding a space for them next year. Also herbs, many of mine are in pots but I am lucky enough to have a completely separate bed area to give over to 3 mints x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • Veggie

Broadway Offline
(11-06-2020, 12:52 PM)Mamzie Wrote: I have just started trying to grow perennial veg and herbs. 

I class our fruit trees and bushes as planning for longer term. Also when we took out bramble from edges we replanted with native hedging for us and  wildlife.  I have planted up Walking onions and perennial leeks with the intention of finding a space for them next year.  Also herbs, many of mine are in pots but I am lucky enough to have a completely separate bed area to  give over to 3 mints x
Hiya Mamzie

Walking Onions and Perennial Leeks are on my list for when they come back into stockSmilean I ask where you sourced these?

If things go to plan! I want to add 6 more RB's to the 3 I already have, 1 will remain the strawberry bed and the remaining 8 for annual veg although these are rough figures.

That should leave me with about 1/2 the plot left where I'm planning my asparagus plants (sown this year), and at least 5 other perennials, again that's the plan!

Mamzie Offline
On top of a South Wales Mountain
I was lucky enough to find bulbs available at a Seed Swap day in February x
Gardeners Spring Recipe - 1 part soil, 2 parts water, 3 parts wishful thinking ...  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mamzie's post:
  • Broadway

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Seakale is a perennial if you can keep the pigeons and slugs off it, so is Cardoon which I have also grown in the past. Rolleyes Horseradish is another perennial but can become invasive if not contained. Cry
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons