Preparing for winter
Knotty Offline
Had a load of ash wood delivered for use on our log burner / cooker.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 5 users Like Knotty's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you’re weather is anything like our this evening, you’d be seriously considering using some now.

Luckily this coming winter for the first time, we’ll not need to stock up on wood as we won’t have a log burner. Obviously there’s half a chance we won’t have any heating, but fingers crossed
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Knotty, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I still have plenty of wood for the fire, from when Arthur Ash was cut down. However, I have been wondering how to grow more food in the GHs over winter. Maybe starting in big pots outdoors and moving them under cover when the weather gets bad.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Knotty, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
We've not had to buy any wood for the time we have been here.... but I think we are running low! Pretty cold here this evening too
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Knotty, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I lit the woodburner earlier mainly to dry out my clothes after taking Kato for a walk in the rain! Smile I also tried a few of the recently delivered logs to see how well they  were seasond and I was pleasantly surprised! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Knotty, Small chilli, Veggie

Knotty Offline
Thumbs Up 
Reason we bought logs so early is because price is a bit cheaper.  Yesterday was heavy rain and very windy, it looked just like winter out there but still warm.  We have lots of trees that we expect will need to be thinned out about every third year so will be able to supplement our log pile from our own trees.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 5 users Like Knotty's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Bren Offline
Looking at our log store we should be OK this winter, it felt cool last night in bed so I chucked a blanket over the summer duvet.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Knotty, Veggie, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
We have some seasoned wood from last yeR and lots of turf available, they are currently drawing all the dried turf off the bog where I live, tractors and trailers, jeeps and trailers, vans and trailers even a very large dumper truck.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Knotty, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(15-07-2023, 08:54 AM)Knotty Wrote: Reason we bought logs so early is because price is a bit cheaper.  Yesterday was heavy rain and very windy, it looked just like winter out there but still warm.  We have lots of trees that we expect will need to be thinned out about every third year so will be able to supplement our log pile from our own trees.
I bought logs early for a different reason. They are no cheaper than the last ones I bought but if I had waitied until they they were in short supply once people started using them, some of the ones I got would have a high-ish moisture content. Better to get the seasoned stuff early on unless the part seasoned is a bit cheaper!  Smile I have tried kiln dried which is really expensive comparatively, burns really hot, but doesn't last as long! Sick
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie