Geordie living 'ower the watter'
On BBC news site this morning:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/articles/edib...est_garden
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
A novel idea but I'm sure I'd forget where I'd planted things if they weren't in a block or a row.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
My garden is an "edible forest garden". Big Grin
First heard about the concept on a permaculture course that I went on 18 years ago, not long after I'd bought the extra bit of land at the end of the garden (the old orchard). The permaculture tutor "Michelle" asked the group whether anyone would host a group visit, that we could all walk around and redesign on permaculture/forest garden principles - so they all came here!
Michelle said that I had all the basics already in place - like the fruit trees and bushes - but needed to introduce the lower layers, the perennial vegetables etc.
You've seen the photos of my jungle. I'll say no more.!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Small chilli, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
The perennial part of my garden does take very little maintenance and produces a vast amount: apples, pears, red/black currants, gooseberries...
How do you replace the food value of all the annuals: peas, beans, courgettes...grains wheat/oats ... potatoes?

One tree that would provide plenty of calories and store well would be hazel nuts but how do you keep squirrels at bay?

Can you be self sufficient with a perennial garden or, like hunter gatherers would you need to eat plenty of meat/fish as well?
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(09-07-2023, 10:18 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: The perennial part of my garden does take very little maintenance and produces a vast amount: apples, pears, red/black currants, gooseberries...
How do you replace the food value of all the annuals: peas, beans, courgettes...grains wheat/oats ... potatoes?

One tree that would provide plenty of calories and store well would be hazel nuts but how do you keep squirrels at bay?

Can you be self sufficient with a perennial garden or, like hunter gatherers would you need to eat plenty of meat/fish as well?
The article is about low-maintenance gardening - not self-sufficiency. How many gardeners here grow wheat/oats? 

Steven Barstow's Blog https://www.edimentals.com/blog/ is full of plants that you never thought were edible and for ways in keeping them growing overwinter. His enormous salads  are incredible.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-07-2023, 09:52 AM)Veggie Wrote: My garden is an "edible forest garden". Big Grin
First heard about the concept on a permaculture course that I went on 18 years ago, not long after I'd bought the extra bit of land at the end of the garden (the old orchard). The permaculture tutor "Michelle" asked the group whether anyone would host a group visit, that we could all walk around and redesign on permaculture/forest garden principles - so they all came here!
Michelle said that I had all the basics already in place - like the fruit trees and bushes - but needed to introduce the lower layers, the perennial vegetables etc.
You've seen the photos of my jungle. I'll say no more.!
When I spotted the article my first thought was of you! Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Bren Offline
It reminded me of Alys Fowlers ‘The Edible Garden’. It’s still available to watch on iPlayer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Bren's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
(09-07-2023, 10:18 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: The perennial part of my garden does take very little maintenance and produces a vast amount: apples, pears, red/black currants, gooseberries...

Now you're talking................ Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(09-07-2023, 11:26 AM)Veggie Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 10:18 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Can you be self sufficient with a perennial garden or, like hunter gatherers would you need to eat plenty of meat/fish as well?
The article is about low-maintenance gardening - not self-sufficiency. How many gardeners here grow wheat/oats? 

Steven Barstow's Blog https://www.edimentals.com/blog/ is full of plants that you never thought were edible and for ways in keeping them growing overwinter. His enormous salads  are incredible.

I don't aim to be self sufficient but I do want to convince myself that, if push came to shove, I could be and growing annuals/bi-annuals seems to be needed for this. This year, I'm growing a patch of quinoa which doesn't seem to be thriving at the moment. This, together with beans. peas, onions, garlic, carrots tomatoes, herbs and potatoes could form the basis of a reasonable diet with fruit and some greens. I'd miss oats and coffee most I think.

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(09-07-2023, 02:56 PM)Vinny Wrote:
(09-07-2023, 10:18 AM)Mark_Riga Wrote: Can you be self sufficient with a perennial garden or, like hunter gatherers would you need to eat plenty of meat/fish as well?
Now you're talking................ Big Grin Big Grin

If you had to rely on what you caught/grew yourself, would you be well fed?