Irrigation system
Jimny14 Offline
I'm planning on moving/changing the lay out of my veg beds and while I'm doing it was thinking of adding some drip/soaker hose (not sure which) irrigation.. my thoughts were irrigation hoses in each bed with an isolator valve to a hose running back to a water butt which due to the fall of the land will be at least 2-3 ft higher than tops of the beds depending how high I put the beds. 
Has anyone ever done similar, and do people think this should be enough fall to get enough pressure? Also anything I haven't thought of/recommendations of things I should add to the system?
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m not going to be much help. I had an irrigation system in the polytunnel for 1 season. I really didn’t get on with it. It was a dripper system connected to a tap with a fancy timer. It had 6 pipes running the full length of the bed. It worked very well didn’t have to water ever……but! It did soak the whole bed ( unsurprisingly) which meant weeds & algae ( due to Mulls unique climate (think rain forest, but cold) ) went nuts. I could never find a happy medium. So went back to watering with hose or can.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jimny14, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Not a system but I experimented with weepy hoses once fed from a water butt in the gh but even though there was supposedly enough height the weepy hose never weeped.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jimny14, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
Thanks for the replies, your comments give me so much hope.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
There are battery powered submersible pumps which you could use to pump water from the water butts in to the irrigation system. I know Bosch does one, there may be others.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Jimny14, Veggie