G & g 3rd year anniversary prize!
MartinH Offline
(03-06-2023, 09:34 AM)JJB Wrote: I second that, they're like weeds, coming up everywhere  through the grass up the garden
I third this. I inherited one in a previous garden. Fed up with all the suckers, I dug them out. It fixed it all right, it killed the actual tree. I guess it's very shallow rooted, every root produces suckers, take out the suckers and the tree has got no roots left.

It's probably best as a specimen tree in a lawn, that way the mower takes care of all the shoots growing from the roots.
[-] The following 4 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Well instead of Scarlets multi stemmed Himalyan siver birch, I'll have a Vinny's multi stemmed Stags Horn Sumac! Tongue Big Grin

On a similar note, a friend of mine has what she calls a 'Reindeer tree' I mentioned to her about the suckering problems and she told me I could have a sucker to grow on if there were any? I have watched this plant for two years and it's never thrown up a sucker to propagate! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Ordered a Rus Typhina Dissecta (Tiger Eyes) Cool

Thank you very much G&g. Big Grin

When I gaze at its wonderful foliage I will always think of this site  Rolleyes
[-] The following 10 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, PyreneesPlot, Scarlet, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
To save you all goggling it https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/rh...iger-eyes/
Its a dwarf variety said to be less invasive than the species.
We'll need photos when its in colour, Vinny. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 5 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Very nice looking shrub Vinny, congratulations on the win and may the shrub prosper for you with as many suckers as you like to propagate and pass on.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
My Rhus shrub has finally arrived and I can't say I am too enamoured with it. For £26.95 they could at least have watered it before sending! Angry The growing tips ared dead and brittle but the plant should sort itself out eventually! Rolleyes Undecided whether to complain about it? Huh

The 20p purchase of a banana plant from Morries last year was a much better buy and is looking good after it's winter on the kitchen windowsill! Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, MartinH, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
Vinny if you're not happy with your shrub I'd email them the photo and see what they say.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Online
Moonraker
(20-06-2023, 09:33 AM)Vinny Wrote: My Rhus shrub has finally arrived and I can't say I am too enamoured with it. For £26.95 they could at least have watered it before sending! Angry The growing tips ared dead and brittle but the plant should sort itself out eventually! Rolleyes Undecided whether to complain about it? Huh

The 20p purchase of a banana plant from Morries last year was a much better buy and is looking good after it's winter on the kitchen windowsill! Big Grin

Go on Vinny, give 'em stick.  A very fine banana plant too.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you’d paid for a half dead & neglected plant then it’s fine. As you didn’t, complain. Especially at the price you paid, it should at least be a healthy plant.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Thumbs Up 
Complaint sent!
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie