Black Bamboo
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
A few years ago I spent a goodly chunk of the garden budget on a black bamboo.  It took a couple of years to establish, but last year sent up huge stems. It looked really great.
But this year it has decided to set seed, has sent up no new shoots and the leaves are dropping.  So I guess it's dying!  Last year was a gregarious flowering & dying year for it world wide, but i haven't come across any cases in 2023 yet.
The challenge will be trying to collect and germinate the seed - anybody have any experience or advice?!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Knotty Offline
We have grown black bamboo at a previous property and never had it set seed but just wondering if you dig down and scrape a piece back to see if there is still life in it. As although the roots don't travel like ordinary ones they still do a bit. Maybe worth a try.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 3 users Like Knotty's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-06-2023, 08:08 AM)Knotty Wrote: We have grown black bamboo at a previous property and never had it set seed but just wondering if you dig down and scrape a piece back to see if there is still life in it.  As although the roots don't travel like ordinary ones they still do a bit.  Maybe worth a try.

Knotty, the easiest way to "quote" a single post is to choose "Reply". 

As for PP's Bamboo, no idea sorry, but if you can find something that kills ordinary bamboo I would be exceedingly grateful.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli