Is this a con?
Roitelet Offline
This sounds too good to be true. What do you all think?
https://www.supersoil.ie/en-gbw
[-] The following 2 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
It does sound too good to be true so I goggled it. There are a lot of sceptics out there. My favourite comment was that its like homeopathy for soil because the application rates are so small. If you believe in homeopathy then this may work for you.
The reviews seem to focus on grassland - which has little interest to me - I'm trying to get rid of grass, not encourage it!
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Roitelet

Roitelet Offline
My thoughts entirely! My Daughter who has a small gardening business was raving about it and has bought some to try. I will be interested to hear the results.
[-] The following 3 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

Broadway Offline
(15-05-2023, 02:53 PM)Roitelet Wrote: My thoughts entirely! My Daughter who has a small gardening business was raving about it and has bought some to try. I will be interested to hear the results.
So will I
Regards..........Danny Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Broadway's post:
  • Roitelet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
You may have to wait 10 years for the results. Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Roitelet Offline
If you read the blurb it claims that the results are visible in a matter of weeks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roitelet's post:
  • JJB

toomanytommytoes Offline
They've been giving out free packets of this to loads of gardening YouTubers recently. The guy behind it screams serial liar: he's written a book claiming that Atlantis is actually Ireland and that Ireland is the true birthplace of human civilisation, he runs 'Keystone University' which charges €2,999 for a 3 day business seminar despite not really telling you what you're getting for that money, he describes himself as 'one of the few polymaths on the planet'...

If it actually does contain microbes and they're still viable, it could potentially improve soil, but I have a feeling it's just massively overpriced powdered worm castings/compost/biochar. There is only one trial referenced on the website but I can't find a link to any scientific paper to see the method or results. 

"Reverses Climate Change
By applying 1 kg of Supersoil to 10 acres of grassland, 400 tons of new topsoil is created over time, removing an astonishing 100 tons of carbon from the atmosphere through a process called carbon sequestration."

Soil is mostly a mixture of clay, silt and sand. How is applying 1kg of this going to create 400 tons of soil? Organic matter is just a small fraction of soil. 

"Restores Polluted Soil and Non-Arable Land
Supersoil has the power to turn sand into soil. It can be used to treat soil that has been subjected to chemical spills, oil spills etc and turn them into farmable land"

How is this supposed to work? I have heard of worms and mushrooms being used to remediate contaminated soil, but they work by taking up the contamination and then being physically removed from the area. How does this product break down persistent chemicals and heavy metals like arsenic or lead? Are there any scientific studies which show Supersoil can do this? 

"Top Secret Recipe
Just like Coca-Cola, the exact recipe for Supersoil is a closely guarded secret however what we can say is that Supersoil is made from healthy soil microbes and organic plant matter using a cutting edge quantum compression technique. Supersoil is made in Ireland and is 100% pure, natural and organic. It’s also fully approved by the Irish Organic society and suitable for worldwide use."

'Closely guarded secret' says to me that it's something cheap being sold for a lot of money and they don't want you to know about it. I have a packet of mycorrhizal fungi which tells me exactly what species of bacteria and fungi it contains and in what quantities, as well as what the bulking ingredient is. 'Quantum compression' sounds like absolute woo.
[-] The following 5 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Proserpina, PyreneesPlot, Roitelet, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
"Top Secret Recipe
Just like Coca-Cola, the exact recipe for Supersoil is a closely guarded secret however what we can say is that Supersoil is made from healthy soil microbes and organic plant matter using a cutting edge quantum compression technique. Supersoil is made in Ireland and is 100% pure, natural and organic. It’s also fully approved by the Irish Organic society and suitable for worldwide use."

Goggle can't find the "Irish Organic society" only the "Irish Organic Association".
Another little untruth??
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Roitelet

toomanytommytoes Offline
Only true polymaths know about the existence of the Irish Organic Society, Veggie.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Roitelet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I always wanted to be a polymath - whatever sort of parrot that is!.
Anyway, on a farming forum https://thefarmingforum.co.uk/index.php?...er.357563/
there's a comment that it is Saprosoil from https://alfaterra.ch/

What is Saprosoil™
Saprosoil™ is a unique organic material, rich with humic, fulvic
and amino acids, peptides, vitamins, natural antibiotics and a wide range of macro-
& micro-elements from pristine Siberian lake.