Giving Up On Gooseberries
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Can grow gooseberries round here but there is a lot that is not possible now. Plums, which for years we got more than we ate off a victoria are now stolen at blossom stage/just after by wood pigeons and pocket plum disease has now made an appearance. Cherries in a fruit cage are got by squirrels and fruit flies now. Netted strawberries all eaten by squirrels. Pears, like plums by pigeons just after flowering and any they miss, by squirrels before they ripen.
So we are left with raspberries, apples, red/black currants, gooseberries, sometimes melons and some nectarines in a polytunnel that the fruit flies miss. Oh and rhubarb.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
For the iffy gooseberry growers, can I put in a recommendation for Jostaberries please.
They're a cross between a gooseberry and a blackcurrant. The fruit is larger than a blackcurrant but not as big as a gooseberry. Its spineless and doesn't seem to be troubled by sawfly.
Don't try Worcesterberry as they're a similar cross but have even worse thorns than gooseberries. I grow them as a hedge.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, toomanytommytoes

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(11-05-2023, 06:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: For the iffy gooseberry growers, can I put in a recommendation for Jostaberries please.
They're a cross between a gooseberry and a blackcurrant. The fruit is larger than a blackcurrant but not as big as a gooseberry. Its spineless and doesn't seem to be troubled by sawfly.
Don't try Worcesterberry as they're a similar cross but have even worse thorns than gooseberries. I grow them as a hedge.
.....You forgot to mention, they are tasteless! Tongue Smile
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Your tastebuds must be all to pot, Vinny. They definitely have a taste. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes

toomanytommytoes Offline
(11-05-2023, 06:05 PM)Veggie Wrote: For the iffy gooseberry growers, can I put in a recommendation for Jostaberries please.
http://kitchengardenblog.co.uk/2014/04/3...by-sawfly/  Cry
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Sawfly finished off my josterberry……………..luckily
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(11-05-2023, 10:25 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote:
http://kitchengardenblog.co.uk/2014/04/3...by-sawfly/  Cry
Maybe sawfly are afraid to venture into my garden. Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(11-05-2023, 06:30 PM)Vinny Wrote:
.....You forgot to mention, they are tasteless! Tongue Smile

Yup, lovely big tasteless fruit, but the deer loved the taste of the bark and killed it!
It was really productive so useful for bulking out blackcurrant.
My first gooseberry died after an unhappy 4 or 5 years where it produced no more than a couple of berries and then MrPP ran it over withthe ride-on!  I planted a new one last year that's covered in fruit this year.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
I don't have a problem with any pests on my gooseberries and generally get a decent crop.i can't blame you for wanting rid of them if you're finding them more hassle than they're worth as space is important.
As they are a good source of food and early nectar for insects and birds it would be a shame to get rid of them entirely. Could you dig em up or take cuttings and replant somewhere away from your veg patch? Like thr far side of an informal hedge?
[-] The following 3 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

toomanytommytoes Offline
(13-05-2023, 08:41 AM)Jimny14 Wrote: I don't have a problem with any pests on my gooseberries and generally get a decent crop.i can't blame you for wanting rid of them if you're finding them more hassle than they're worth as space is important.
As they are a good source of food and early nectar for insects and birds it would be a shame to get rid of them entirely. Could you dig em up or take cuttings and replant somewhere away from your veg patch? Like thr far side of an informal hedge?
We have a poorly Fastia japonica we are going to cut down at some point, so I will replace that with a shrub which provides lots of early bee forage. I didn't realise the scale of the...scale problem until I'd got them in the green bin.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 4 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Jimny14, JJB, Veggie