Bluebells
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have lots in the garden - spanish ones. I used to dig them out and bin them as they can take over a border in seconds...and whilst I love them regardless I know that the english ones may die out due to tge crossbreeding.

Anyway,have you got any, do you dig yours out? I used lots last year as cut flowers and dug some out to contain them. 

This year I have two clumps of white ones pop up. I have a "woodland area" that i have been trying to fill - photos dont do it justice. I love it. I keep adding to it as I have surplus. Daffs, snowdrops, grape hyacinths, foxgloves and anemones.
Dare I add some over there or am I asking for trouble.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I dig bluebells out of the flower borders, they were taking over but some are allowed in grass under a silver birch at the front. I'm always torn at this time of year, whether to let the volunteers flower before attacking them.
If you have grape hyacinths in your woodland patch I can't understand why you would have room for bluebells Smile suck it and see, try putting the different colours in first. How about sinking a container of bluebells in an effort to restrict them, like we do with mint.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Both sorts here - including white and pink Spanish bluebells.. I just leave them to do their thing unless they're where I want to plant something, which is rare! If I'm picking flowers, I only pick the Spanish ones.

https://www.rhs.org.uk/weeds/bluebells-as-weeds
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Luckily I only have the native bluebells. If I had Spanish they’d be ripped out. Like veggie, if I was to pick for cut flowers, it’d only be Spanish ones, I’d probably bin the bulbs as I harvested for bunch’s.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-04-2023, 01:29 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I’d probably bin the bulbs as I harvested for bunch’s.
I've spent so much time digging them up - they get in everywhere.... they are still food for insects Wink Spanish ones are everywhere here. In most garden you look in.

I just pull for cut flowers. I don't dig up the bulbs at the same time. This has made me think again Big Grin .... I am not doing it. Its just the white ones are so lovely. ..so tempting. 

JJB, my grape hyacinth are on the edge of the border in the grass.... it gets mowed - theres no border edge, so when they finish flowering we mow as tight to the shrubs as possible. They havent spread much to be honest. I think they may like a sunnier position than what they have?
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've never thought of picking bluebells for the house, something to consider when they're properly out. I fear mine are all Spanish, I'll have to check
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

MartinH Offline
I inherited lots of Spanish bluebells. I picked my first bunch for a kitchen vase last week, might pick some more this evening.

Like Veggie, I let them do their thing unless they are in the way.

A few of them look like they have some English in their genes, but I don't have any pure-bred English ones.

As an aside, I remember reading that in conditions that are ideal for the English ones, they out-compete the continental invaders. I seem to recall it said that English ones are more tolerant of the lower light conditions in our deciduous woodland. It's just in brighter light, such as in our gardens, that the Spanish ones take over.
[-] The following 5 users Like MartinH's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
That would make sense Martin - whwre these things thrive are in my sunny border - they seriously so over take. I can dig out hundreds and next year they are back with a vengence.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • MartinH, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-04-2023, 02:19 PM)JJB Wrote: I've never thought of picking bluebells for the house, something to consider when they're properly out. I fear mine are all Spanish, I'll have to check
Mine are all spanish, they dont droop - very upright with sturdy stems. I think they are great as a cut flower.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, MartinH, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Only native ones in my garden which we inherited when we moved in over twenty years ago.
I suspect they came from a little wood at the of the lane in the days when people would dig up wild primroses, snowdrops and bluebells!
Never thought of picking them though - they are very slender and graceful.
I might try a little posy later and see how long they’ll last in water.
I don’t like picking things if they don’t have at least five or six days of glory in a vase.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie