Splitting rhubarb?
doublyjonah Offline
Hi all,

I know rhubarb isn't exactly a fruit, but, like the section title, it is "fruity"...

We have this very well established rhubarb on the plot. I think the base of it must be about 1.5 ft in diameter. It is apparently a Timperley Early. It wasn't planted by the previous plotholder and seems to have been there for quite some time. It gave a great crop early on, and now has these rather less robust stalks (hopefully) keeping it going.

I know they like a good feed at the end of the season. I'm wondering if we should also consider splitting it later in the year. Advice and opinions welcome.

Thanks as ever!

Edit to say: It is also in a bindweed-heavy area of the plot, and you can see some infiltrating weeds in there. If we don't split it, any advice about ridding it of these interlopers would also be appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes doublyjonah's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I'm not an expert on rhubarb but what i would do is cut off with a spade a couple of chunks with a growth bud and leaves and a good piece of root. Make sure there are no bits of bindweed in the roots. Pot up or plant where you would like them. You wouldn't be able to take anything off them next year but should be good for the following. Your current plant should be still producing next year but as long as the new plants are thriving, you could deal with the old plant and the bind weed this time next year.

I've got some old rhubarb plants that are overgrown and have had nothing off them for a couple of years. I've just taken 2 chunks out of the patch before they disappear completely and potted one up and put the other in in a corner. they are both surviving even though the wind took the only leaf off one of them.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, doublyjonah