Echinops
Knotty Offline
I have quite a lot of Echinops that are growing really well.  The last few weeks I've noticed lots of seedlings coming up around them.  Does anyone know if they self seed?
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 2 users Like Knotty's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I know Far End Woman (FEW) and Scarlet grow Echinops so they'll be able to help.
Gardeners World say "they self seed freely" https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/gr...-echinops/
I'm tempted to grow them because Echinops is such a funny name - like something out of Jurassic park. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Farendwoman Offline
My originals were Veitch Blue and I’ve had a fair few seedlings from them.
None are true Veitch Blue - but most have been garden worthy (and lovely for picking).
Because my picking area is small (as opposed to Scarlet’s) everything is packed in closely and I often miss seeing self sown seedlings- unless I am particularly hunting them!
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Another one that’s waiting patiently in my seed tin. They do look lovely.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
They definitely will self seed - lucky you! .... although I have one in the garden that I saved seed from for a flower seed swap - I remember Martin saying that they self seed freely - and mine definitely doesn't! It must be a sterile one as Ive tried so many times. So disappointingBig Grin I have to split it to get extras. Eryngium will also self seed freely.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Knotty Offline
(11-04-2023, 02:00 PM)Scarlet Wrote: They definitely will self seed - lucky you! .... although I have one in the garden that I saved seed from for a flower seed swap - I remember Martin saying that they self seed freely - and mine definitely doesn't! It must be a sterile one as Ive tried so many times. So disappointingBig Grin I have to split it to get extras. Eryngium will also self seed freely.

I thought they probably were the seeds from them, I will pot them on later on this week.
Greetings from Dorset
I am always happy in the garden
[-] The following 2 users Like Knotty's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

MartinH Offline
(11-04-2023, 02:00 PM)Scarlet Wrote: They definitely will self seed - lucky you! .... although I have one in the garden that I saved seed from for a flower seed swap - I remember Martin saying that they self seed freely - and mine definitely doesn't! It must be a sterile one as Ive tried so many times. So disappointingBig Grin I have to split it to get extras. Eryngium will also self seed freely.
Yes, the Echinops self seeded all over the place in my last garden.

I brought a couple of small plants with me to the new place. They didn't grow very well last year, but they are still alive so I'm hoping for better things this time round now they are settled in.

I've got a couple of different Eryngium I grew from seed and I'm looking forward to seeing how they get on as well.