Clematis query
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a fabulous wisteria trained against a wall - my boys gave  it to me for Christmas several year ago. But even though it looks gorgeous in May it soon drops all the flowers and the foliage is pretty boring whole summer. 
I have to keep it in check a lot throughout the summer as it's by my kitchen door. It's very vigorous.

I was wondering if I could grow a clematis through it? Anyone seen one?  Obviously a Montana wouldn't work but I thought a viticella that gets pruned down low once a year would be fine. What do you think?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Don’t see why you couldn’t grow a clematis through the wisteria. Where I used to work they had an ivy growing though it. No idea on variety.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet

Curly Offline
A bit late coming on to this thread Scarlet, but growing a clematis through wisteria would be fine but I would think if you are cutting it down every spring you could have a build up of old dead foliage as the clematis I would I think wind through your other plant might be worth trying perennial sweet peas

Curly Offline
A question when this thread is here rather than starting a new one  Could anyone recommend a clematis supplier of good quility plants and of course at a reasonable price

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes!! There is a clematis grower near me. He supplies our local garden centers and does local shows. He also does mail order.
I had 10 plants delivered to me...he dropped them in himself. They were all fab quality.
Then I ordered one as a gift for a friend in London and again was very healthy.
They average £10 each with a flat rate of £10 delivery.
It works out ok if you order more than 1 or 2.

http://floydsclimbers.co.uk/
  • Curly

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Over another clematis query.

I've a clematis, Guernsey Cream climbing up a brick wall. At the moment last year's growth (semi pruned to tidy it up late autumn) is 4' - 5' tall with the stems all showing growth along their length. It's pruning group two and the Web is confusing in its advice. Some say lightly pruning late winter and again after flowering. Others say prune to 20cm late winter. Any advice out there from the gang?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Group 2 flowers on old wood. I don't prune mine.
Those that get pruned to ground are in group 3 - viticellas etc?
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I shall leave Guernsey Cream to her own devices and hope her buds don't get frosted like last year. I've managed to kill her brother living next door. No sign of life from Ernest Markham, it withered and died during late summerSad. I've left the place untouched just in case it revives.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(19-01-2022, 10:39 AM)JJB Wrote: I shall leave Guernsey Cream to her own devices and hope her buds don't get frosted like last year. I've managed to kill her brother living next door. No sign of life from Ernest Markham, it withered and died during late summerSad. I've left the place untouched just in  case it revives.
I think they are tricky things. Light prune to tidy up after flowering and then job done for me - I also had 2 of the same variety in group 2,one has lived the other faded away.  but I have had more clematis die on me than any other plant, they just don't thrive for me. 

Most of mine are in group 3 I've found them to be a easier to grow.
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Scarlet, any ideas for a reasonably trouble free floriferous perennial climber to go up a wall in semi shade, to replace the probably dead Ernest Markham? I could take cuttings of Hadley Hybrid, but she's just too rampant.
Greetings from Salisbury