Bean seed ID help
JJB Offline
Moonraker
These bean seeds escaped their packet, any idea what they could be.  Its not one I've grown before so it might be a seed swap one.   They are predominantly white/creamy coloured with black mottling around their 'belly button', I've no idea what that bit is called  Smile

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 

Admin Offline
The Boss
(31-03-2023, 12:58 PM)JJB Wrote: These bean seeds escaped their packet, any idea what they could be.  Its not one I've grown before so it might be a seed swap one.   They are predominantly white/creamy coloured with black mottling around their 'belly button', I've no idea what that bit is called  Smile
Cow peas/black eye beans?
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(31-03-2023, 01:08 PM)Admin Wrote:
(31-03-2023, 12:58 PM)JJB Wrote: These bean seeds escaped their packet, any idea what they could be.  Its not one I've grown before so it might be a seed swap one.   They are predominantly white/creamy coloured with black mottling around their 'belly button', I've no idea what that bit is called  Smile
Cow peas/black eye beans?

Thanks Boss, but looking at web pictures of those two those beans appear stumpier and the black more defined rather than splotchy like mine. I expect I'll just sow them to see what they turn into and be none the wiser.
Greetings from Salisbury

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Soldier beans or Nun's belly Button?
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • JJB

Garrett Offline
Yes, they look like Nun's Belly Button.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Garrett's post:
  • JJB

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Agreed except the colouration is definitely black not brownish and I've never bought them, anyone recall whether they've been included in the swaps. I think I shall have to grow them just out if curiosity.
Greetings from Salisbury

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lidl sold a bean called Wachs beste von Allen https://deaflora.de/Shop/Bohnen/Buschboh...Allen.html
I had some in last year's random swap. Maybe you bought them in Lidl? Supposed to have yellow pods.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(31-03-2023, 04:58 PM)Veggie Wrote: Lidl sold a bean called Wachs beste von Allen https://deaflora.de/Shop/Bohnen/Buschboh...Allen.html
I had some in last year's random swap. Maybe you bought them in Lidl? Supposed to have yellow pods.

Looks promising but don't recollect buying them.  I wonder if they're yin yng that didn't make enough black colouration. Or even cherokee trail of tears gone white, they're about the same size. No matter they're a bean , they'll get sown  or eaten  Smile
Greetings from Salisbury

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Identified my beans!

They're a yellow DFB from Lidl 'Wachs Beste von Allen' they'd been bunged in the drawer upside down and were pouring out. I think it translates as Brittle Wax.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
Sssshhhhh! Don't let Veggie know she was right!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Veggie