Complete chilli novice
JJB Offline
Moonraker
Next year I plan to try out one chilli.  Never grown them before, don't use them much but there is such enthusiasm from those that do grow them, I'm keen to give it a try. 

So which variety should I go for, I want a low to medium heat and easy to grow.  The freebie seeds with the mag included 'cayenne' which calls itself medium heat, would they  be a good place to start?  Especially as they are free Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
If you’ve already got cayenne seeds. Then go for it. If you’re a real wimp with heat then maybe a jalapeño.
If you come over all flush if you look at the pepper grinder  Rolleyes . Then try a Trinidad perfume ( no heat, not quite so easy to grow, but still not rockets science  Wink  ). If you don’t eat much chilli you will definitely only need 1 plant. 
Welcome to the slippery slope of chilli addiction  Big Grin
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Warning, JJB, this is how SC hooked me last year. I grew Trinidad Perfume and a couple of others SC recommended (even sent me the seeds so I had to sow them ).
They weren't hot so you can have faith! They were attractive plants and I did eat some - but not all There were lots of chillies on each plant.

I'm not growing any this year - so it is possible to escape the slippery slope. Aubergines are this year's experiments.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, JJB, Scarlet, Small chilli, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(03-06-2020, 12:12 PM)Small chilli Wrote: If you’ve already got cayenne seeds. Then go for it. If you’re a real wimp with heat then maybe a jalapeño.
If you come over all flush if you look at the pepper grinder  Rolleyes . Then try a Trinidad perfume ( no heat, not quite so easy to grow, but still not rockets science  Wink  ). If you don’t eat much chilli you will definitely only need 1 plant. 
Welcome to the slippery slope of chilli addiction  Big Grin

Not a complete wimp, supermarket medium curry is fine and I love black pepper in copious amounts and put dried chilli flakes in my own tomato dollop,  so  I will go with the cayenne.  Thanks SC.  Not a chance of addiction though,  I'm with Veggie all the way with aubergines.  I figure with more potential room I can branch out from the normal cucs and toms.   I expect I will end up with 2 gh stuffed to the brim looking like the Amazon jungle and a stern talking to from OH  (which won't make any difference whatsoever)  Big Grin Thanks for the heads up both of you.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 6 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Jay, Mamzie, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I've found some freebie seeds of Anaheim chilli, it seems a bit safer than Cayenne, so that's on my grow list for next year.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
OK, so my intended single chilli has become several (I've lost count).
I now have a flower or two on a Jalapeno plant, with other different plants about to flower. Do I need to tickle the flowers to pollinate them?
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Eyren, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(30-03-2021, 07:07 PM)JJB Wrote: OK, so my intended single chilli has become several (I've lost count).
I now have a flower or two on a Jalapeno plant, with other different plants about to flower.  Do I need to tickle the flowers to pollinate them?
How big are your plants? If they’re still quite little I’d pick the flowers off to encourage them to grow a little more. I’ve been picking flower buds off my beaver dam because it’s trying to flower.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man

Spec Offline
I have just sown some chilli seeds today, don't know if I will get anything but will find out
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spec's post:
  • Can the Man

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(30-03-2021, 08:15 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(30-03-2021, 07:07 PM)JJB Wrote: OK, so my intended single chilli has become several (I've lost count).
I now have a flower or two on a Jalapeno plant, with other different plants about to flower.  Do I need to tickle the flowers to pollinate them?
How big are your plants? If they’re still quite little I’d pick the flowers off to encourage them to grow a little more. I’ve been picking flower buds off my beaver dam because it’s trying to flower.
About 8 -9", maybe 10"  tall
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Looking on the interweb they recommend pinching out the first flowers to encourage the plant to create roots and leaves rather than fruit. It breaks my heart to do it but watch out buds your days are numbered Big Grin
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Can the Man