How long do you take?
Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bob was telling me yesterday about some survey/ report/ program ( don’t know wasn’t paying attention to that bit  Big Grin ) that says the average meal in a UK home takes 20 minutes to prepare! I find this a little disturbing. Does the whole country open a packet and wait for the bing of the microwave?! I find it hard because last night we had one of the quickest meals we do. A re heat roast with a few extra fresh veggies to bulk it up. It still took 27 minutes.
I have no Idea what our average time would be preparing a meal. It’s definitely more than 20 minutes! 
What about you?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Farendwoman, Jay, JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
This morning it took 2 of us 30 minutes to fill the slow cooker and tidy up after.
One preparing veg and herbs the other at the stove browning sausage, sautéing veg and making stock.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
It was probably an average that was tilted towards saying we are a nation/s of convenience.

My daughter would not know how to prepare 90% of the veg she cooks because its out of the freezer.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin's post:
  • Bren, Jay, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Not sure about the average but a Sunday dinner can take up to 4 hours to prepare and cook, whereas a stir fry can take 10 minutes. I get as much enjoyment from preparing a meal and experimenting a lot of the time, than I do from eating the finished product. Smile 

If I had to put a time on average preparing and cooking a meal I would say about one hour? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Farendwoman, Jay, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
I reckon an average of an hour too. Even washing, peeling and slicing all the veg for a salad and a bit of coleslaw takes 20 mins - without the potatoes and whatever the “main event” is.
I’m not complaining. Getting food on the table is one indoor “chore” that I really enjoy.
It’s all the other horrible indoor jobs I hate, cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, ironing, bed making. Not that I do a lot of any of that.
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Jay, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Twenty minutes is about right for me. Would probably take me longer if I cooked meat.
Pasta, Rice and most veg take about 10 minutes (spuds in the pressure cooker) to cook. While they're cooking I prepare the protein bits. Fish and eggs are quick. I cook beans in bulk and freeze portions. I don't make fancy meals with 3 courses.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, Small chilli, Vinny

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
I used to love cooking - not so keen these days. I like it when I have extras to cook for. Though I love fish, takes minutes to pan fry. I often make a bean thing in the morning? Or something that I can reheat later? Puy lentils 25mins max - chuck things in as I go.
If I roast a chicken - it all goes in the same pan..and I will return 20 mins before the end to take off the foil... 25 mins to cook chocolate brownie Wink only 5 mins to weigh out the ingredients and mix
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Jay, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(21-03-2023, 09:54 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: I reckon an average of an hour too. Even washing, peeling and slicing all the veg for a salad and a bit of coleslaw takes 20 mins - without the potatoes and whatever the “main event” is.
I’m not complaining. Getting food on the table is one indoor “chore” that I really enjoy.
It’s all the other horrible indoor jobs I hate, cleaning, vacuuming, dusting, polishing, ironing, bed making. Not that I do a lot of any of that.

Hear, hear, couldn't have put it better. I think we're the same here.

Some nights it's a 'ping' dinner but even then we have fresh veg accompaniments.  These days I try to use the oven efficiently,  perhaps cooking two day's meals at once.  It takes me  about an hour on average.   It would take twice as long with P's help, so he's exiled from the kitchen until there's washing up to do.

Another question to you all: when there are two or more of you, is it a joint decision what's for dinner, or a benevolent dictatorship?  Here I try to involve P but all he says is 'I'll enjoy anything you give me darling' Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jay, Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(21-03-2023, 11:22 PM)JJB Wrote: Another question to you all: when there are two or more of you, is it a joint decision what's for dinner, or a benevolent dictatorship?  Here I try to involve P but all he says is 'I'll enjoy anything you give me darling' Smile

Often it’s a joint decision. Sometimes he gets what he’s given (like this evening  Wink ). Sometimes he chooses. We both do something towards the cooking usually. One doing the prep one cooking. But there’s only ever one that does any cleaning of the kitchen. No not Bob    Rolleyes
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie, Vinny

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
^^^ no one does the dishes except me! I hate anyone in the kitchen - they get in the way Big Grin, except son Number 2. If he is home, he cooks, i prep.

The OH and Number 1 are not interested in cooking. They eat whatever goes on the plate. They are both happy so long as they are not wasting their time in the kitchen.
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny