A Worm Farm & Compost Corner
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Look at the photos on here https://www.hotbincomposting.com/blog/co...chate.html
Mine is a Mk2 with an aeration plate at the bottom so the liquid drains through it into a collection area with a drain tap.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Proserpina, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Bob has been thinking!! This isn’t always a good thing  Wink . But on this occasion his idea might have legs . He suggested that we put a strip of wood around the bottom of a dalek. Then put another one on top, the wood at the bottom of the first stopping them fitting snugly together and creating a gap between. Fill the gap with expanding foam. Could probably put expanding foam in the lid. If masked off the lip so it still fits snugly. Then just need to do something with the bottom. 
It’s a potential future project. Do you think it would work? My only concern is it’s a bit big to keep feeding it so it stays at correct temperature.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I need to think about this!
Are these the huge daleks?
Maybe put them on some sort of a wire grid with a sump beneath for drainage?

Just wondering how flexible they are once filled? Would the expanding foam crack when/if the bin is moved to another location - Composting in situ - sat on ?cardboard on an empty bed. When full, move dalek to another bed and spread compost over the first bed.

Still thinking. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Insulation wise it sounds good but how would you extract the good stuff at the bottom but leaving the 'in progress' stuff to continue rotting. If you could make a door at the bottom, insulated but accessible it could work but might be too big to maintain the heat required.
If full it would be heavy to move.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
This is all very inspiring!
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 2 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie