Flowers to be proud of
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Lovely SP! I'm just starting some hardy annuals in the greenhouse....nit 100% sure on what I'm going to grow.
Also got to get my daffs planted up so going to be a busy month.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I have one perennial poppy in the garden. This plant was originally in MiL's huge garden  P remembers it from when he was a child so it's over 70 yrs old. It never sets seed and according to Nana it didn't like being moved. When she died in 2000 we took a chance and dug it up to bring here before her house was sold.  Every year except the first couple it has flowered, perhaps only 2 or 3 blooms sometimes 5 or 6 but we look forward to it every spring. This year it has at least 10 huge blooms  maybe more, each as big as a side plate, if not bigger. 
A bit of Nana lives on.

PS any ideas on propagation?
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Broadway, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
That is beautiful JJB. I’ve never seen a poppy so big. Just lovely. Sorry no Idea on propagation. Really hope you manage it.
I wish I’d been in the right frame of mind to take cuttings from my Nan’s garden.
I’ve got poppy seed she saved for me in 2010. They are still germinating. In fact they’re the only poppy seeds that have germinated this year. I always save seeds from them each year.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I found this JJB.
https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/gr...l-poppies/
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sounds like a plan SC thanks, as long as I can find a root without destroying the plant itself, I'd hate to lose it.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Small chilli

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
(28-05-2021, 01:40 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Just bought myself a bulb planter so I'm fully prepared! I've never used one but hoping it's easier than digging holes with a spade?

is it a long handled one that you use your foot on? I could never push a hand held one far enough into the ground.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’m loving my alliums.

[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Farendwoman, Jay, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-05-2022, 09:22 AM)JJB Wrote: I have one perennial poppy in the garden. This plant was originally in MiL's huge garden  P remembers it from when he was a child so it's over 70 yrs old. It never sets seed and according to Nana it didn't like being moved. When she died in 2000 we took a chance and dug it up to bring here before her house was sold.  Every year except the first couple it has flowered, perhaps only 2 or 3 blooms sometimes 5 or 6 but we look forward to it every spring. This year it has at least 10 huge blooms  maybe more, each as big as a side plate, if not bigger. 
A bit of Nana lives on.

PS any ideas on propagation?
Look around the sides, you will often see some mini plants that can cut away and dug up. I often take at least half a dozen new plants around September from mine.
  • JJB

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(17-05-2022, 11:48 AM)Moth Wrote:
(28-05-2021, 01:40 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Just bought myself a bulb planter so I'm fully prepared! I've never used one but hoping it's easier than digging holes with a spade?

is it a long handled one that you use your foot on? I could never push a hand held one far enough into the ground.
Yes, the long one...I ended up using a spade and digging trenches/holes
  • Moth

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
My friend has just sent me a photo. One of the day lilies I brought from my virtual garden centre trip on Thursday has flowered. I’m liking it a lot.

[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Moth, Veggie, Vinny