Dahlia propagation
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So I generally split my tubers in the Spring to make more, some just wiggle apart, if they dont I will often cut throught the stem or cut off one of the "legs" if it has some eyes.

I took cuttings a few years back - loved the process, but found my strike luck wasnt as successful as it could have been, had lots just not taking due to "misting" either too wet or not keeping hydrated enough... I also got a little overwhelmed with space issues

Anyway, last September I decided I wanted more varieties that were suitable for cutting. I had already ditched a few of the big Decoratives in favour of the balls or poms. Gluton for punishment - Im having another go Smile

My order has arrived and been set in trays - I have some eyes already. Wish me luck.

[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, Garrett, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Yes - I wish you luck
That’s another plant thst I have no success with.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-02-2023, 03:10 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Yes - I wish you luck
That’s another plant thst I have no success with.
Treat them as annuals? Buy a few in from B&Q... and just enjoy for the summer?
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, MartinH, Veggie

Garrett Offline
I haven't had any success with cuttings either. I tend to just prise them apart in spring or chop through a big tuber with a spade. They're surprisingly tough!
[-] The following 2 users Like Garrett's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(13-02-2023, 05:14 PM)Garrett Wrote: I haven't had any success with cuttings either. I tend to just prise them apart in spring or chop through a big tuber with a spade. They're surprisingly tough!
Yes, I can often make several plants from one tuber - but these are new ones Ive nought in from Halls of Heddon. I wanted to buy british grown. These are pot tubers so not really big enough to split into half a doezen pieces.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman

MartinH Offline
I struggle with Dahlias too. If I leave them in the ground, most of them die. If I dig them up, most of them die. If I take cuttings from the survivors, either they don't take or they take months to root.

Oddly I have no problem with Chrysanthemums, nary a failure with those.

Scarlet has the right idea: treat Dahlias as annuals.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MartinH's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(14-02-2023, 09:50 AM)MartinH Wrote: I struggle with Dahlias too. If I leave them in the ground, most of them die. If I dig them up, most of them die. If I take cuttings from the survivors, either they don't take or they take months to root.

Oddly I have no problem with Chrysanthemums, nary a failure with those.

Scarlet has the right idea: treat Dahlias as annuals.
I usually have a good success rate with digging up and storing over the winter - but this time the weather hit too early.  Autumn was warm so they were growing and tubers were bulking up after the dry summer, then towards the end of November I had a huge amount of rain and the ground was too wet sticky and heavy for me to dig ( Im on clay). Then the frost!! Pretty much lost 80%.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Getting woarried now, thinking maybe I should not bother with taking cuttings and maybe try to split - even though they are pretty small!

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller

I thought I'd update this thread... I did finally have some success. 
I set the tubers in mushroom trays on a heat mat set at 17°with the crowns on show.

I had some tubers that rotted quite quickly - I believe these had been frosted as they were soft quite soon after putting them in the compost. I didn't water until the soil looked dry.

The first few shoot were quite thick. After this one was removed the following material was very thin. These rooted fast. So next time i wont bother trying with the first thick shoots.

I used rotting powder and a mix of perlite, grit and compost. They need misting lots or they droop. In the end yo keep the humidity up i used a layer of clingfilm draped over the top. When i used a lid the stem rotted. I have managed about 80 cuttings. So very pleased with that.
[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • doublyjonah, Garrett, JJB, MartinH, Moth, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
So Im back taking dahlia cuttings. The cuttings seem to be very vigorous so I'm trying again, they really fill up your garden.Just need the boss to visit to dig me a few more beds Big Grin. I thought I'd cracked it last year but I think the humidity changes as the months go on and obviously the warmer it gets the quicker they root.
So far Ive lost quite a few while on the heat mat - the watering of the heatmat to make sure the heat is even makes the compost too wet for the cutting? So I have tried cuttings potted up in the same open/gritty mix and in closed plastic bags, which seems to work well. When the cutting material starts to speed up a bit I am going to set another heated propagator up with a sand on the base - no lid. Hoping this improves my early success.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • JJB, Moth, Veggie