Is there a “moans and groans” thread
Farendwoman Offline
Got a few moans and groans.
Don’t know where to post them
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(11-02-2023, 05:41 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Got a few moans and groans.
Don’t know where to post them
Start one - cos I now have a fungus gnat invasion Sad
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Well my moan is that after taking flowers to a Friday market for over 25 years , I’ve now been told that a new stall holder is coming to sell “bunches and bouquets of cut flowers”.
It’s a small Friday shoppers’ market - maximum of fifteen stalls. (Cheese, veg, crafts, cakes, jams, coffee, hot snacks, vintage clothing).
There are only a few regular customers for cut flowers for the Friday Market and I truly feel that there aren’t enough customers to support two flower stalls.
Nothing I can do, other than gnash my teeth and look for another outlet.
So sad after all this time
  • Admin, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Oh no! ... if they are new to growing they may not have flowers every week? Dont pack in yet. Your customers may be loyal.

I think its very sad that the market manager would do that.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Thanks Scarlet.
I shall see how it goes, but won’t give up yet.
The new stallholder is an ex florist and will be buying in flowers apparently - which may not be as popular as the back garden ones I provide.
Of course, the downside for me is that commercial flowers will last longer in the vase and will look”tidier” and more varied than mine.
I can understand that in these expensive times we’re living in, everybody is looking for ways to bring in a bit more cash, so don’t blame the stallholder for starting a new venture.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Well on the bright side of that is those flowers will be much pricier if she has to buy in?
Maybe some new boards/signs etc with British/locally grown would help?
[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
(12-02-2023, 06:56 AM)Farendwoman Wrote: The new stallholder is an ex florist and will be buying in flowers apparently - which may not be as popular as the back garden ones I provide.

You can buy those types of flowers almost anywhere but yours are local home grown and that means a lot those who have been buying your flowers.
[-] The following 5 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
If I had to choose between locally grown flowers and garage/supermarket foreign flown-in ones - Local ones would win every time.
Accentuate your positives - picked fresh today, from an English country garden a few miles away, seasonal flowers - different every week.
Your customers have always chosen your flowers over the ones they could buy from the local supermarket - and I see no reason why they would change now.
This all sounds like something from the Archers. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Scarlet

Farendwoman Offline
Listening to Archers right now!

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
By coincidence, I think, this article has just popped up on FB. https://www.motherearthliving.com/health...z19jazbut/
Its about the American flower market but equally relevant to the UK. Next time I'm near a bouquet of roses (or any other flowers) I'm going to check where they've been grown - not that I'd be buying them unless they were yellow stickered. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman