Gran's Apron
Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Grans apron,I remember it well Cool

https://www.facebook.com/DoYouRemember/p...4/?__cft__[0]=AZW6Vlbc4E6EJK_XdYtUtxx7jBpvnlfYCUL_O-2aCTt2lPduQIltYkR55JVfIgZE1t5kx5Q9i_DB07r5xSiGlfijmgbYT9T0VIFVeUW5zSqltj3-WEpLKJxS7r3KZKnndahdwV2nZFKJ35hxZZlbpyiVtz1ey_GqcoSoHw1vexH2yKmAdid5uuh9lh5NbjyMD5oWtvGx5JokoEIEE1rqiHq3&__tn__=EH-R
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 3 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, JJB, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
That was our grandma's apron, then in the 60s they went over to housecoats. I still wear my mum's nylon housecoat to cut P's hair, it stops all the hair bits sticking in my jumper and prickling. A brilliant bit of kit. Who wears an apron nowadays? TBH I slob around in old clothes, the apron would be far cleaner and better quality Smile
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 3 users Like JJB's post:
  • Jay, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
My Gran (Nana)'s apron was a wraparound jobbie that tied at the side, I think. Covered most of her clothes, front and back. I can see her now, in her pinny and hairnet (not curlers, just covering her hair to keep it in place.
As she got older, she'd wear a hat in the house too - no central heating in those days.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
(14-01-2023, 11:15 AM)JJB Wrote: That was our grandma's apron, then in the 60s they went over to housecoats. I still wear my mum's nylon housecoat to cut P's hair, it stops all the hair bits sticking in my jumper and prickling. A brilliant bit of kit.  Who wears an apron nowadays? TBH I slob around in old clothes, the apron would be far cleaner and better quality Smile
Exactly !
That’s why I sometimes use an apron when cooking
Protects the food from my grubbiness rather than the other way round.
Also, it helps to put me in “cooking mode” - and definitely gives my daughter and son in law the impression that a) I’ve been slaving in the kitchen all day, when I’ve really been rooting around in potting compost
and b) they’re going to get something pretty good dished up .

It’s a bit like frying an onion when meals are running late to suggest that something yummy is almost ready!
[-] The following 4 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Jay, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I have a blue and white striped butchers apron I always use if I am baking bread. Gran had her apron and did everything mentioned in the text with it. They lived on a smallholding so I especially remember her gathering egg and little chicks in her pinny! Smile  MIL always wore a pink housecoat. How things change. Rolleyes
A lot of modern mums (and dads) rely more on takeaways and readymeals so I am glad I didn't buy shares in pinny manufacturers! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 4 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Farendwoman, Jay, JJB, Veggie

Bren Offline
My gran wore a wrap around apron I don’t think I ever saw her without it.
I have an apron for jam/chutney making because I’m messy.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bren's post:
  • Broadway, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(14-01-2023, 03:04 PM)Vinny Wrote: I have a blue and white striped butchers apron I always use if I am baking bread. Gran had her apron and did everything mentioned in the text with it. They lived on a smallholding so I especially remember her gathering egg and little chicks in her pinny! Smile  MIL always wore a pink housecoat. How things change. Rolleyes
A lot of modern mums (and dads) rely more on takeaways and readymeals so I am glad I didn't buy shares in pinny manufacturers! Big Grin
Vinny in a Pinny  Cool
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Vinny

Admin Offline
The Boss
My nan had two types of apron, one like a butchers apron for cooking and a waiste fastened one at all over times.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 2 users Like Admin's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
My mam always wore a pvc apron with a picture of Heinz Baked Beans on it. She had it for years, wore it doing everything from cooking & cleaning to baking cakes and bread. She was 88 when she died back in 2017 and I can remember seeing it hanging in the kitchen before she went into the nursing home. I remember her buying a small one same picture for my daughter when she was about 4 (she’s 41 now) to wear when she came to visit and they would make cakes and scones together.
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 5 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Broadway, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Farendwoman Offline
That’s lovely!
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny