2023 - Good Morning,. Afternoon, Night
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I imagine your underpants wouldn't be clean for long if you were run over. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, JJB, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Good evening. Just going through books I've not looked at for a while to see if they should go to Oxfam. I fished out a book on gardening techniques, RHS 1981 opening it at random and read about renovating borders: "Late Spring, when weeds are growing strongly, apply glyphosate with a dribble bar or sprayer." I didn't realise how long that has been manufactured for. It must at last be getting a bad press as, while noseying round a garden centre after dropping Chris off at the hospital, I noticed lots of weed killers now claiming not to contain glyphosate prominently on their label, including some formulations or roundup, the original glyphosate.

On another note, you will never convince me that these are beneficial insects. There are hundreds foraging for fruit now. I thought they should be still working till the autumn. They are moving on to our plum trees even though the plums are still very tart and nowhere near ripe.

[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I have a few old gardening books and, while they may pre-date Glyphosate, they use other, very dubious chemicals. Can't remember which but they were certainly something you wouldn't want on your food.
As for the wasps, I don't think anything can be termed "beneficial" if it destroys the fruit/veg/flower that is the reason for growing it. Wasps in plums are bad but wasps in Japanese knotweed might be good. Someone needs to train wasps to eat elsewhere.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I agree. It must be a bumper year for wasps. I've never had them affect the raspberries before and this year they're decimating them and they ruined the goosegogs. I've a jamjar or two with sweet liquid ready to go in the fruit cage. Nothing else is recommended.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Mark_Riga, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I once tried using a car vacuum cleaner on them but one gave me a friendly sting on the wrist so I didn't try that again. Just plastic squash bottles with the tops cut off and inverted with a bit of fruit juice in it but they don't catch too many.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Somewhere in Greece we met the giant meat-eating wasps that lurked around the beach, stinging anyone who looked like raw meat. The remedy was a piece of salami in a jam jar that you kept beside your partly clothed body. By the end of the day, there'd be several wasps in the jar which was then lidded and disposed of. Never met them anywhere else,
  • Mark_Riga, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They sound like fun!
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Got friends visiting tomorrow. Not seen them for 8 years. Only found out they were coming this afternoon. I’m really looking forward to seeing them.
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Will they be able to help with the house/garden? Visitors need to earn their keep. Big Grin
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-08-2023, 10:32 PM)Veggie Wrote: Will they be able to help with the house/garden? Visitors need to earn their keep. Big Grin
She kinda already has. She’s the upholsterer that sent me all the bits and told me how to fix the old chair  Big Grin .
He might want to give Bob a hand with the cladding. Very much doubt I’ll be getting any gardening help out of either of them. Big Grin .
  • JJB, Veggie