All about Garden Shrubs
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Smile 
Garden shrubs - fancy a new one? Some of mine that are looking fab this year.

End May/June flowering

Black Sambuca- I love this elder at the moment and is also fab for cordial. Smile

Another elder variegated- brightens up a shady corner and again it you can use the flowers. I have tried the berries in chutney - not that impressed to be honest.

Physocarpus - this is a lovely shrub and is great for cutting for the vase. The coppery colour leaves look amazing in the border.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 5 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I fancy that Physocarpus, Scarlet. Its not one that I know. They all look lovely. Shrubs with distinctive leaf colour are always a bonus, even without flowers.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They’re all lovely.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(02-06-2020, 03:25 PM)Veggie Wrote: I fancy that Physocarpus, Scarlet. Its not one that I know. They all look lovely. Shrubs with distinctive leaf colour are always a bonus, even without flowers.
You know I'm troubled with ground elder and to reduce some of the work I thought the best thing to do was fill a couple of borders with coloured shrubs. Trying to mulch underneath, it hasn't worked brilliantly as the stuff is still there Big Grin but it's better than using poison. 
Physocarpus is one of my favourites- people always comment on it.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Identification help please.

My friend was given this shrub.  Is it a variegated dog wood?

Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Jay Offline
Any suggestions for a shrub to fill in gaps in an old hawthorn hedge which has more or less grown into trees?!

Shrubs are all lovely Scarlet! Smile
West of Scotland
[-] The following 2 users Like Jay's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(09-06-2020, 05:43 PM)JJB Wrote: Identification help please.

I think it's a weigela.

(09-06-2020, 06:18 PM)Jay Wrote: Any suggestions for a shrub to fill in gaps in an old hawthorn hedge which has more or less grown into trees?!

Thank you.

I planted a wildlife hedge last year. I put a dogrose in it. They are vigorous but I'm loving it at the moment - full of flowers.

I think the snowball bush looks lovely in a hedge? Viburnum? Or you could just plant in some hazel?

Hawthorn respond well to hard pruning? They will often send up some new vigorous growth.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(09-06-2020, 07:38 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
(09-06-2020, 05:43 PM)JJB Wrote: Identification help please.

I think it's a weigela.

(09-06-2020, 06:18 PM)Jay Wrote: Any suggestions for a shrub to fill in gaps in an old hawthorn hedge which has more or less grown into trees?!

Thank you.

I planted a wildlife hedge last year. I put a dogrose in it. They are vigorous but I'm loving it at the moment - full of flowers.

I think the snowball bush looks lovely in a hedge? Viburnum? Or you could just plant in some hazel?

Hawthorn respond well to hard pruning? They will often send up some new vigorous growth.
I don't think its a Weigela Scarlet. I have weigela in my border but think its a Flamingo willow, (which I also have.) My Black Sambucca is just coming into flower here with its pink flowers. Cool  I bought a black sambucca online and it died so I got a replacement, then the original plant came back to life so I have two now! Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vinny's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think it's a flamingo willow too! Big Grin

I love my back Sambuca - ( makes pink cordial) I have a yellow one as well. I have tried to take cuttings but not had any luck yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
Having looked round my herbaceous borders I have too many purple flowered shrubs Confused . Luckily I have a hydrangea which because I am on an acid soil has lovely sky blue flowers when it comes out. Cool I planted flowering alliums in front of my purple rhododendron not realising the flowers have an identical colour and looking from my kitchen window can't be distinguished. I will move them next year.
Every year I move plants around as I try to picture how plants would look in various positions. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons