2023 - Seeds and Stuff I've bought/acquired
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Start on 1st January.
Anything you have in store like compost and seeds doesn't count - only what you BUY during 2024.
However, I think that stuff you've grown in previous years (frozen, dried, stored, preserved) does count on the profit side when you actually eat it.
Swaps don't count as there's no money involved.

If we do it a month at a time, we may have an incentive to keep going and not run out of steam, as usual. Wink
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I'm in. A good excuse to find/buy a special book to write it all down in. There's something very exciting and pleasurable about a brand new book.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm at the panicking stage of "Do I or don't I buy a Diary for 2024" and if I do , what size? This year, I've written something in an A4, week to view, diary most days. That's a first! Week to view is good because I can see the days I've missed easily and its easier to write the week's challenges in one go. It also had Account pages at the back which was useful. Haven't seen one on sale in the cheap shop yet though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

MartinH Offline
I've bought a nice new A5 notebook to use as a journal next year. The first entry will be on Boxing Day when I sow some onions. It has numbered pages, so my idea is to cross-reference e.g. sowing, pricking out, planting, harvesting.

If I remember I'll start a spreadsheet for purchases, but the book itself doesn't count because I already bought it Smile
[-] The following 4 users Like MartinH's post:
  • JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Recently, I bought a "Planner" according to the cover. Basically its just a book full of pages, each page sectioned into 7 for each day of the week.
My Plan (at the moment) is to have two pages for each week, one side will be for gardening, the opposite side for the house (decluttering and drudgery). I've started putting my "orders" in, just the first few weeks, and they're in pencil, in case I change my mind!
If it works, I can reuse it every year. I should go back to using my Month notebooks again and avoid buying a Diary completely.
The Planner will tell me what to do, and the Notebook will record whether I did it, each year, ad infinitum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
This is a good Idea, I was missing a spreadsheet in my gardening workbook - my initial thought. Are you including major purchases: a new trowel, fork, wheelbarrow, greenhouse ,,,?

Though I may move the columns to the year sheet for 2024.

For me, it might be easier to estimate the worth of a crop when it is harvested which would sometimes be a bunch of beetroot or a cabbage but might be 20kg of potatoes or 5kg tomatoes. but then anything subsequently going to the compost heap (hopefully minimal) would have a negative entry. 

Thinking about it, when it comes into the kitchen should be good enough which might be 6 garlic bulbs, 15lb. of potatoes then anything going to compost would not get counted.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
What to include as a cost? I included everything that would be used in the garden - the modules were the most expensive item @ £65. - That's 2 months of my £1 a day accounted for!
I'd say account for everything - tools, wheelbarrow even a greenhouse if its part of the garden. The following year you won't need to buy one.
When I first had chickens we worked out that each egg "cost" about £20 when you added up the cost of the hen house, fencing and buying the chooks but the following year, each egg only cost however much food they needed.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
It's getting awfully complicated. I've a scribble book in my gardening bag, in which I hope to put what I pick, but more often than not gets forgotten when I get indoors. Scribbles, plus journal, plus the notebooks with dividers for each type of veg recording thoughts useful for next year, plus the spreadsheet which gets forgotten about after the initial flurry of sowing will hopefully enable me to extrapolate the input/output. I'm glad I've bought most of the seeds in the sales last month.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm not counting it when I pick but when I eat it. If its picked and frozen it goes into limbo until it ends up on my plate. Its only has a value when its eaten - that's my theory anyway!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • MartinH

JJB Offline
Moonraker
I was thinking the same, a bucket of beans would probably be 2 portion fresh, the rest frozen and counted when used. I'm not going into which year they come from.
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie