Apple trees
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
We have 3 eating apple trees; Katy, James Grieve and Jonagold. All 3 trees are looking really healthy and, between them, we have eating apples from mid August till Christmas with plenty to give away. The Jonagold is the late apple of the 3 and I just picked the remaining apples before the blackbirds, fieldfares etc. finish them off. All three have had superb flavour this year, don't know if it was the heat and sunshine. The Jonagold are almost like eating sugar lumps and are decidedly morish but most have to be peeled because the skin looks so ropey.
Would anyone know if this is just the variety, or because it is quite a late variety or any other reason and if there is a way to preveint the blemishes.
There have been a lack of grubs in them this year also.

Pictured is some of the Jonagold.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man

toomanytommytoes Offline
Scab, perhaps? Our Red Falstaff gets it every year, though not as bad as that. Not much you can do about it if there are other susceptible apple trees in gardens near you. The most you can do is get rid of all the leaves and fruit which drop, and hope for a dry summer. I think late varieties are more likely to get it badly since the fungus has longer to take effect. Our apples have had barely any codling moth damage for the past few years, I think the increased number of predatory insects in the garden has really helped.
[-] The following 3 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Can the Man, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I don't grow any of the apples you have so can't compare. When I had a job packing apples in Tasmania, we wouldn't pack anything with those red spots (or the blackscabs). I think the red spots turn the flesh beneath brown and starts to rot so no good for storage.
My last apples are russets.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
Well the tree is very healthy looking and the apples should keep well despite their appearance so, as long as it keeps its flavour when peeled, I'll keep it. I acquired it about 4 years ago together with an opal plum tree for £5 the pair from B&M, a cut price chain. It is the 2nd year it has fruited with about 50 apples this year.
The plum tree didn't have any roots when i unpacked it and it spent its first year in a big pot covered with the plastic sleeve it came in. It survived and might have produced its first fruit this year it it hadn't been so dry. May be next year if the pigeons and squirrels don't see it (not likely).
[-] The following 2 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB