Pumpkins - storage and uses
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I've been offered some pumpkins leftover from Halloween - not sure how many yet - may be 1 or 5 or any number in between.
What would you do with them - simple ideas please. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Admin Offline
The Boss
Soup?
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Admin's post:
  • Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
If theyve been carved they probably wont store for long. How about soup or you could peel and then micro them, mash and season for a side veg. Roast.
Curry, risotto or variations on that theme. I'm sure others will be far more inventive.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller

There are 2 more orange ones - hard to guess the sizes. Somebody else wants one , not sure which one.

As far as I know, they haven't been carved and are intact. I have to collect them from a doorstep tomorrow.Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Store them in your spare room/ library. They’ll sit quite happy for a couple of months.
Make chutney. Dehydrate them.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I collected the big one in the photo and a larger one. The little ones were those mini pumpkins so I left those and the biggest one for someone else.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli

JJB Offline
Moonraker
(06-11-2022, 02:33 PM)Veggie Wrote: I collected the big one in the photo and a larger one. The little ones were those mini pumpkins so I left those and the biggest one for someone else.

You'll have to let us know what you do with it.  All my squashes or pumpkins usually end up roasted as an extra veg when I've got the oven on.  It's amazing, all the hype on TV about the cost of living and increasing energy prices doesn't half make me think twice before heating up the oven these days, and then when I do, the oven is filled with whatever I can bung in there to cook at the same time.  It's all psychological as we can well afford the leccy but waste not want not..
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 1 user Likes JJB's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
I don't have an oven now - only a halogen oven. Can't get a lot in it but its very quick as there's no warming up involved.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • JJB, Proserpina

Moth Offline
Chissit No-digger
I know you won't make this Veggie, but it's a nice recipe for a pumpkin and lemon tea loaf that someone else may like - 

225g (prepared weight) peeled and deseeded pumpkin or butternut squash, cubed
3 tbsp full cream milk plus 1 extra if needed
1 large egg
175g self-raising flour
½ tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g caster sugar
1½ tsp mixed spice
½ tsp grated nutmeg
50g unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
2 tbsp poppy seeds
Grated zest of 1 small lemon

Method
Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Grease a 900g loaf tin and line with baking paper or greaseproof paper, then grease well once more. Cook the pumpkin in boiling water for 10-15 minutes, until tender. Drain well and leave until the steam dies down, then blend to a smooth purée in a food processor. Scoop into a mixing bowl and mix in 3 tablespoons milk and the egg.
Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar, mixed spice, nutmeg and seasoning into the cleaned bowl of the food processor. Add the butter and process until the mix looks like fine breadcrumbs. Add to the purée and stir until just mixed, adding the remaining milk if the mixture seems dry. Stir in the poppy seeds and grated lemon zest. Spoon the mix into the loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes until well risen and golden.
Remove the cake from the tin and cool on a wire rack. Remove the paper and serve cut into slices.

The last time I made this, I left out the spice and used walnuts instead of poppy seeds.
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished  – Lao Tzu
[-] The following 4 users Like Moth's post:
  • JJB, SarrissUK, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Sounds good Moth, I might even find a pumpkin just to try it. Is it the sort of cake that tastes even better spread with butter? Smile
It's just reminded me I haven't made Bara Brith for ages
Greetings from Salisbury
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Moth, Veggie