Drying foliage/flowers for arrangements
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know that probably none of you do this - me neither until recently but Ive been asked by the local school to do a xmas wreath making class. Obviously I agreed straigh away Big Grin
OMG - its not even October and Im already having slepless nights about foliage. I
have a hedgerow of amazing rosehips - i searched loads last night but couldn't find anythinh - is there a way to preserve these?

Any ideas on foliage I could gather now that would look good in December would be appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Proserpina

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Conifers like larch that have small cones? I used to collect these locally when (a long time ago) I used to be festive! Cotoneaster?
When is the class? December! You have the whole of October and November to find/worry about this. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 11:48 AM)Veggie Wrote: Conifers like larch that have small cones? I used to collect these locally when (a long time ago) I used to be festive! Cotoneaster?
When is the class? December! You have the whole of October and November to find/worry about this. Big Grin
I dont want to worry for that long!
I really would like to save my rosehips somehow?

The worst thing was I had a clear out of my shed last Spring - and chucked lots of cones as Id stored for too long Sad  I can collect more of those - but I would love some stems with berries hips and Im not going to find those in Dec.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Holly and ivy berries.

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 05:28 PM)Veggie Wrote: Holly and ivy berries.
O have lots of ivy:know where lots are but no holly around here - never seen one bush! I would like something with colour?

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 06:11 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
O have lots of ivy:know where lots are but no holly around here - never seen one bush! I would like something with colour?
Depending on the age of the kids. Gold and silver are of great importance that time of year. Gold and silver spay glitter will be your best friend    Big Grin . Not forgetting the red ribbons    Wink .
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Some ideas - https://fieldkitchen.riverford.co.uk/mev...06ccd2825d

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 06:18 PM)Small chilli Wrote:
(28-09-2022, 06:11 PM)Scarlet Wrote:
Depending on the age of the kids. Gold and silver are of great importance that time of year. Gold and silver spay glitter will be your best friend    Big Grin . Not forgetting the red ribbons    Wink .
Its the parents Smile ... and red ribbon is costly. I could easily pop and buy it all but I havent got a huge budget and would like a little left over Wink 

Everything has gone up hugely, so the wire a d wreath rings are eating away at it, Ive looked at swapping the wire for string and thats too expensive. Cinnamon sticks used to be so cheap and they have quadrupled in price. So i would like to use some dried things which i can harvest now... im sure rosehips could be preserved on the stem
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-09-2022, 06:24 PM)Veggie Wrote: Some ideas - https://fieldkitchen.riverford.co.uk/mev...06ccd2825d
£65 for that course - I'm doing it for less than a quarter of that - they can afford to buy their stuff in
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
It was only an idea for plants to use. Big Grin Eucalytpus would be nice.
Can you make wreaths out of wire coat hangers - or woven stems - hazel/hops that sort of thing.

Any crabapples for colour? Hawthorn, rowan berries.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Small chilli