Seed Trays
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I know pros bought some seed trays a few months back..., I've been torn between soil blocking or seed trays. I can't stand all the odd trays, half broken, running around and picking peoples rubbish up because I won't buy the flimsy ones when people don't reuse them.
I looked at soil blocking and I didn't fancy all that mud pie making??

So I've bitten the bullet. Got myself some seed trays from container wise. I'm so impressed- they will outlive me. Can't wait to get them dirty Smile

[-] The following 8 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina, Small chilli, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
I used to use those in the wild flower nursery. They’re very good.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
They look brilliant, but out of my price league.
I have to confess that I use polystyrene modules. I know it’s not green , but I use them time and time again so it’s not single use like the flimsy plastic ones. I get far better results with polystyrene than anything else, particularly with autumn sown annuals.
I guess it’s a bit of insulation and keeps the roots a bit warmer.
[-] The following 2 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • JJB, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Just gone on their website.
For some reason I thought that container wise modules cost hell of a lot more. Given their reputation, it looks a pretty good buy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Farendwoman's post:
  • Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
How many modules are there in that tray, Scarlet.? Look like a lot!

FEW, I have some polystyrene trays that I bought when I first started gardening, decades ago! Still usable .Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman

Proserpina Offline
South Yorkshire
So, having used them a lot this year, I really like the look of them and they are beautifully sturdy. I suspect that I will be able to use them for a couple of decades at least. However, they aren't as easy to use as I had hoped and I definitely need to modify how I use them in future as I lost so many seedlings this year. The biggest issue is that each module is tiny and so they dry out incredibly quickly. If you can't stay completely on top of watering them (checking on them at least once a day) then it's very likely that they will dry out and your seedlings will die or your seeds won't finish germinating. I had the best of intentions, but then I'd hit a block of night shifts and everything would die after a couple of days of neglect. I intend to try covering the trays until I've had a good germination in future, but they will still need a lot of attention after that.

Another issue is that they have a lot more modules per tray than I wanted to sow any one type of seed. So I would end up with a row of this and a row of that, with different rows ideally wanting different treatment, but no way to separate them until I potted them on. So, the sowing needs careful planning to keep plants requiring the most similar conditions together.
Formerly self-contained, but expanding my gardening horizons beyond pots!
[-] The following 4 users Like Proserpina's post:
  • JJB, Scarlet, toomanytommytoes, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(15-09-2022, 09:36 PM)Proserpina Wrote: However, they aren't as easy to use as I had hoped and I definitely need to modify how I use them in future as I lost so many seedlings this year. The biggest issue is that each module is tiny and so they dry out incredibly quickly. 

Another issue is that they have a lot more modules per tray than I wanted to sow any one type of seed. 
That is one of the reasons why I have delayed in buying any, the Charles Dowding ones were a little small for me - I use several nursery trays at the moment ( along with everyone's cast offs!) the nursery tray modules are tiny and do dry out quickly. So in Spring I really have to be on top of it... but what I use mostly are 3cm by 5deep. ( someone else cast offs!) so I bought similar

I got the deep trays - 160 modules that are 3x5 that fit my propagator - they hold about a third more than the Charles D ones that are a little smaller?
These are perfect for snapdragons /clary Sage/ carnation/sweet rocket etc.

For larger seed I got the 116 modules 4.2 x5 . These fit my benches perfectly.

I also got a couple of  bigger modules that were nearly 10cm deep? For long rooted plants - daucus: ammi etc

Few I have got some polystyrene modules - they are like mini propagators. I have nothing against using plastic - but feel it must be used until it's on its last legs... but I am fed up with plastic trays falling apart and breaking up while I'm using them. They also wast space - trying to fit them on the benches is like a big jigsaw.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Re cheap plastic modules - I bought some a couple of years ago, maybe in Wilko's sale. A pack of 5 trays - very flimsy to use. I stuck them to one side in the GH as I didn't really want to use them and they melted in the sun!! Completely warped. Its the last time I'll buy them, even if they're 5p.Better to save your money for something like yours.
I'd be looking for something with less modules - maybe half overall size - as I prefer to handle smaller quantities of seedlings at a time, say 20-30 at most.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Farendwoman, JJB, Proserpina

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(16-09-2022, 12:24 AM)Veggie Wrote: Re cheap plastic modules - I bought some a couple of years ago, maybe in Wilko's sale. A pack of 5 trays - very flimsy to use. I stuck them to one side in the GH as I didn't really want to use them and they melted in the sun!! Completely warped. Its the last time I'll buy them, even if they're 5p.Better to save your money for something like yours.
I'd be looking for something with less modules - maybe half overall size - as I prefer to handle smaller quantities of seedlings at a time, say 20-30 at most.
The extra deep ones were smaller trays and may be more suited to some veg? I'll take some photos tomorrow. I think they are fabulous. Really please with them even though they cost a lot of money, I know I'll get a lot of use out of them - was a treat to myself as well! I was so fed up with using broken plastic cast offs. Last year I went all over picking up people pots, I don't want to do it again. Most of them were split and falling apart.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
We had 2 sizes in the nursery. I think 135 cells and jumbos were 80 cell. They were about the same size cells as the cheap flimsy ones that are available everywhere.
Any chance of a link Scarlet. I’d be very interested to see if it’s the same company the nursery used to use. Which I don’t actually remember the name of. I think it started with 3 letters one of which was L .

I must admit I get one fine with the mid price range flimsy ones. I’ve been using the same ones for over 8 years.

Only thing with your very posh none flimsy ones. Because you don’t have a lot of flex in them you will at times need to have a blunt stick/pencil/pen whatever that fits in the drainage hole to push the plugs out.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Proserpina, Veggie