Greek Oregano - vulgare var. hirtum
Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I'm back with more her questions Smile

I need more foliage for cut flowers...

I have been try to make lots of mint cuttings - I would like more but not got any beds dug yet so maybe that's a good thing, anyway I've been researching further and I believe this oregano may be good for cut flower bunches.

I really think some of the herb smells make a bunch....

So this oregano I'm going to try from seed - anyone else grow it from seed? Obviously I want it now :F so I'm going to try autumn sowing and keeping it in the greenhouse. 

Any others I should try? I really need more foliage/greens

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
How tall do you need them for your cut flowers?
Oregano and marjoram aren't very tall and, I find, they go straggly as they grow taller. Thin wiry stems.
I remember a thread in another place about Greek Oregano and the belief that the seeds that are sold as Greek oregano are actually Italian oregano.
Other herbs you could try - Fennel, Sage, Rosemary, Bay, Salvias like Tangerine and Pineapple Sage...............
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yes, I am worried about height... but the Greek one is supposed to be 2ft - 60cm tall? Whether that is true I haven't got a clue.

I've just got my seeds from Chilterns - so I will update next year Big Grin you never know... someone may be interested.

I do find herbs to have rubbish stems - but the buddleia mint that I researched last Christmas??? Was brilliant...I also had curly mint and orange mint. Both really lovely in bunches.

I have lots of rosemary but I can't seem to cut long stems?? Maybe ok for buttonholes, not for a bunch.

I've bough one small sage plant to try.
Bay - the young foliage isn't good, the older stuff would be fine but I won't be cutting bunches when it's firmed up.

Marjoram - I think maybe too floppy.

Pineapple mint - that seems to be a good one. Maybe another trip to Jekkas in the spring.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Fennel -...I'm on it! Looking for seeds
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I "think" I have Greek oregano - it has slightly furry leaves. The stems may be 2' tall but they're not very upright. More prostrate. I'll have a close look at it tomorrow.
Fennel comes in green and purple varieties - I love both - and they're very tall! Dill is another one that would work.
Golden Oregano - lovely yellow leaves.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Thanks VC... would love to know what that Greek oregano looks like in the flesh - I really don't think I've seen it in a shop? Maybe I'll take a trip to a GC tomorrow
  • Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Just remembered Lemon balm! How could I forget it - love the smell. There's a Golden and a variegated form too.

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
(03-09-2022, 10:14 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Thanks VC... would love to know what that Greek oregano looks like in the flesh - I really don't think I've seen it in a shop? Maybe I'll take a trip to a GC tomorrow
https://www.jekkas.com/products/po42

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ll be using bronze fennel fronds and flowers & sage in my flower bunches (when the weather improves).
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 2 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
(03-09-2022, 10:34 PM)Veggie Wrote:
(03-09-2022, 10:14 PM)Scarlet Wrote: Thanks VC... would love to know what that Greek oregano looks like in the flesh - I really don't think I've seen it in a shop? Maybe I'll take a trip to a GC tomorrow
https://www.jekkas.com/products/po42
It says the height is 45cm on her site - I should have read that first!
  • Veggie