What was your very first harvest?
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Seeing SC's first harvest from her own garden reminded me of our very first harvest here back in 2010 which was beetroot. 
But can you remember the very first thing you ever grew and harvested? I suspect mine was good old mustard and cress on the window sill!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 5 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Think my first thing was kelvedon wonder peas. Grown in a fish box just outside the front door. At the first house we lived on mull.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 5 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
I must have grown things on my granddad's allotment when I was a kid but don't remember anything in particular. However, I do remember the garden in our first house after marriage. It was a square of grass with shrubs/flowers around it - very boring. My first change was to clear a patch and plant beans and, would you believe courgettes. Big Grin
The garden wasn't very sunny so, even though I'd never had a GH before, I knew I had to have one, and the only place was on the flat roof of the extended kitchen! A window in the back bedroom was turned into a door and the bathroom was alongside so watering was easy - which was just as well, because it was also the year of the big drought (1976). Saved shower water from the bath was used to water the GH. There were no slugs or snails up on the roof and those first tomatoes, the first I'd ever grown, were wonderful.
Incidentally, that GH moved with us to our 2nd home and moved again to become GH2 in this house. Its about 47 years old - Happy Birthday GH2. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 6 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I remmeber my first harvest of broad beans at our first marital home. The reason I remember it was because we had bought the house long before moving into it as it needed a lot of renovation. Sick
During the renovation I was left with a big pile of plasterbaoard which I dumped at bottom of garden. To hide it I covered it with soil and sowed broad beans into it. Rolleyes
I have never had such a good crop of brroad beans since that first harvest and I will always remember it! Big Grin The problem was that Helen didn't like broadies so I had a lot to get through! Rolleyes
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 6 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Bren Offline
Apart from helping to grow as a kid my next venture was 40 year ago when we moved into this house. 
 I'd sown lettuce and some other salad stuff along with cauliflowers but our Fox terrier pooped  Angry on top of every cauli that put me of growing until 15 year ago.
[-] The following 6 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
When I was a young lad 12 years of age, I used to do summer holiday jobs for local farmers planting lettuce and tomatoes, harvesting them also harvested carrots. I worked in a mushroom farm also where I helped sowand gather the mushrooms
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 6 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Admin Offline
The Boss
I can't remember the very first thing I grew as a kid, but do remember growing a bean in a jar, using blotting paper as a sowing medium.

My first crop in our first house was radishes and lettuce.
I am only the Boss because Veggie lets me be!
[-] The following 6 users Like Admin's post:
  • Bren, Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I remember being about 6... I had a tiny patch in the garden. ( garden was tiny) and I grew a couple of potato plants. Obviously dug them up too early, and we had these small red skinned things, my Dad saw them and made a big thing of "go and get some salt" Big Grin I remember proudly taking that plate with the salt sellar to his chair, he took a bite - OMG, he thought they were radish! We always had that little patch to grow, remember getting seeds with Mam, though that's the only thing that I remember growing.
[-] The following 7 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Admin, Bren, Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Two memories as a kid of 4 or 5 around gardening: one accompanying grandpa to the church allotments he called 'Holy Ground' to pick PSB, in my view then the food of the gods, and a little later at around 8 or 9 in NZ being conned by mother to weed out oxalis bulbs, she gave me a penny for each hundred I collected. I soon sussed out it was slave labour and went on strike.

Looking at the very sparse records from our first garden circa 1975-8, there was much lettuce, carrot and radish experiments, all failed. Broad beans seemed semi-successful. Like Veggie then came a gh in 1982 which has followed us everywhere and been moved several times and is still going strong.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 4 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie

Jimny14 Offline
I remember as a child helping my grandad in his greenhouse and weeding and picking the strawberry patch but after that it would have been the veg trug I got when I stopped renting and bought my house about 10 years ago. I used it mainly for salad, I also planted some rhubarb, a dwarf eating apple, jostaberry, and gooseberry Bush. The salad was working well, I didn't really get a crop off most of the rest as after finishing renovating the house and garden I was in it less than a year before selling it and my then girlfriends (now wife) house to move in to our current house.
One of the first things I did here was made an edged veg bed out of scrap planks that were laying around the garden. And got allsorts planted from then until now.
[-] The following 5 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli, Veggie