Padron Peppers
Roitelet Offline
Should thèse carry a health warning??? Last year I grewJalapeano peppers but they had absolutely no heat  so this year I thought I would try Padrons. The information I gleaned said mildly spicy with the occasional one quite hot. Well the ones that I have grown are all red hot. Is there any way of controlling the heat or do I just treat them as hot Chillies?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roitelet's post:
  • JJB

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’ve grown them for a few years up to 15 plants at a time. I’ve never had a hot Padron. Even though they’re are nicknamed the roulette chilli.
Where did you get the seeds from? What do they look like? With them all being hot I’d be a little suspicious that they might not be Padron.

Mine are so mild, I make pepper soup out of them.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Roitelet, Vinny

Roitelet Offline
(27-07-2022, 09:36 PM)Small chilli Wrote: I’ve grown them for a few years up to 15 plants at a time. I’ve never had a hot Padron. Even though they’re are nicknamed the roulette chilli.
Where did you get the seeds from? What do they look like? With them all being hot I’d be a little suspicious that they might not be Padron.

Mine are so mild, I make pepper soup out of them.
The seeds came from a reputable French seed supplier. They are small pointed fruit, I will get a picture of them tomorrow
[-] The following 3 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Vinny

Vinny Offline
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
I agree with SC, never had a hot Padron? Huh
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 2 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Roitelet, Small chilli

Roitelet Offline
            Here are the pictures! The plants are at least 4ft high.
[-] The following 4 users Like Roitelet's post:
  • JJB, Small chilli, Veggie, Vinny

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
They definitely look Padron like  Smile With the sprawling limbs. I think you’re just got the one random hot producer. That the rest of use have been searching for for years  Wink .

Must admit I always leave mine to ripen because I think they have better flavour but they’re still not hot. And you get a lot more chilli for your money they get to 4” to 6” long. 

Also going back to your original post. You can get jalapeño varieties with no heat and you can get them that will blow your head off. Some will give a scotch bonnet a run for it’s money on heat levels.  Chilli growing really is a mine field  Big Grin .
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • JJB, Roitelet, Veggie, Vinny

Roitelet Offline
Thanks, would you like some seed? I could post it next time I’m in the UK, probably October. I don’t think I will grow them again they are very productive but just a bit too hot, and I like hot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Roitelet's post:
  • Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
I've had hot Padrons before, put it down to not watering enough. Chillies do seem to get hotter if the plant gets stressed from lack of water or high temperatures.
[-] The following 2 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Roitelet, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
(28-07-2022, 04:10 PM)Roitelet Wrote: Thanks, would you like some seed? I could post it next time I’m in the UK, probably October. I don’t think I will grow them again they are very productive but just a bit too hot, and I like hot.
Thanks Roitelet, that’s very kind of you. I’m very very tempted, But I’m going to say no thank you. I’m trying to reduce the number of chillies I grow ( kick the bad habit  Big Grin ) .
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Roitelet

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
We've had the odd hot ones - the entire first plateful nearly blew our heads off and we like hot too. After that, just the odd surprise.
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Roitelet, Veggie