News that we already knew!
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Cost of living = growing your own F&V

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-62206677
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Bren, Broadway, Can the Man, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yeah it’s not exactly breaking news, is it  Big Grin 
I didn’t read it all because it would probably annoy me  Rolleyes .
But after a quick glance and seeing the comment “growing vegetables isn’t hard” I was right    Big Grin Wink . Very annoying.
The comment is correct growing veg isn’t hard but it is time consuming.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 4 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
The only thing that bugged me was the implication that, if you have 2 packets of carrot seed (400 seeds) you'll grow 400 carrots. He didn't exactly say that but, I'd think I'd done well to get 20 decent carrots. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 4 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli

toomanytommytoes Offline
Carrots are an awful example to use since they are one of the trickiest vegetable seeds to germinate if you don't know what you're doing.
[-] The following 6 users Like toomanytommytoes's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli, Veggie

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
My carrots and brussel sprouts are usaully ready for harvest when they are 2p a pound in the shops! Rolleyes My Father grew a few veg in the garden and I grow a lot of veg in the allotment. Cool
None of my two sons or daughter are interested in the slightest in growing veg (or fruit & flowers for that matter). You can't ask someone who has no interest in growing to do it? Huh

Each to their own. Big Grin
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
(19-07-2022, 12:57 PM)toomanytommytoes Wrote: Carrots are an awful example to use since they are one of the trickiest vegetable seeds to germinate if you don't know what you're doing.

And after they germinate, carrot flies will have the lot without a lot of protection.
[-] The following 5 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, toomanytommytoes, Veggie, Vinny

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
fruit and veg are easy to grow but when they approach maturity, there are an awful lot of others that want to share them with you - sorry they would rather not let you have any. I don't think there are any crops that don't have something else wanting to help themselves.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie, Vinny

Vinny Online
Geordie living 'ower the watter'
(19-07-2022, 04:41 PM)Mark_Riga Wrote: fruit and veg are easy to grow but when they approach maturity, there are an awful lot of others that want to share them with you - sorry they would rather not let you have any. I don't think there are any crops that don't have something else wanting to help themselves.
.......That remimds me , Rolleyes I must get the goosegogs harvested befoe the local kids decide to deprive me of this years crop like they did last year. Angry I did harvest some and made some scrumptious goosegog jam. I was so impressed  with it I intend to turn the rest of my crop into jam as well! Cool
"The problem with retirement is that you never get a day off"- Abe Lemons
[-] The following 5 users Like Vinny's post:
  • Broadway, Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie