What fruit would you grow in a fruit cage?
Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller

I'm going to convert a wired enclosure (the old pond) into a fruit cage.
Can't give you measurements but it quite big and high. 
My question is, if you were starting a new fruit bed for soft fruit, what plants would you grow in it and how many of each. Not cherries!!!

I aim to get it converted and planted over winter and to be picking fruit, safe from the birds, next summer. Big Grin
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man

Jimny14 Offline
Well the obvious answer which you already know is those which you like the most that the birds steal the most of.
I have no time or space for a fruit cage right now, but I notice the red currants are ransacked most by the birds but our black currants and gooseberries tend not to get attacked at all. I don't mind losing red currants as I prefer the others, I also planted strawberries under the bird feeders a few years ago for the birds and as ground cover.
Ive always understood fruit cages were for those fruit that you desperately want that the birds also take in large numbers.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimny14's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Farendwoman Offline
Raspberries in mine - plus a couple of blackcurrants.
The birds stripped my red gooseberries two days ago. Went out with a bowl to pick them and every one had gone.
[-] The following 3 users Like Farendwoman's post:
  • Can the Man, Scarlet, Veggie

Scarlet Online
Super Pest Controller
(11-07-2022, 10:12 PM)Farendwoman Wrote: Raspberries in mine - plus a couple of blackcurrants.
The birds stripped my red gooseberries two days ago. Went out with a bowl to pick them and every one had gone.
This is what has happened to me for the past few years! Ripped them all out in the Autumn. 

i love black currants / and raspberries/ so that's what I would put in a cage
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Veggie

Veggie Online
Super Pest Controller
Same with my gooseberries this year. They were ripening beautifully, a couple of days later they were all gone.
The downside of gooseberries in a confined space is the prickles.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Raspberries, blueberries, strawberries. I have all mine netted, but the thrushes and blackbirds bombard the raspberries net to get the ripe berries near the nets
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 2 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • Farendwoman, Veggie

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
I’d have and still considering doing this.
Red currants 2 or 3
Black currant 1
White currant 1
Blue berry 1
Raspberry canes 2 or 3
Gooseberry 1
Strawberries 8 to 10

All the ingredients you need to make red currant jelly, strawberry & chilli jam and the occasional summer fruits pudding when his family tunes up.

Mine will probably just be the red currant and strawberries. The rest can take their chances in the hedgerow.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, Veggie

JJB Offline
Moonraker
Our 2 cages have raspberries, strawberries - both as you know will multiply and fill the space up if you let them - 2 blackberry bushes, one in each, neither very productive, a red gooseberry a green gooseberry, a blueberry (its friend died and I'm considering whether to replace it) and 2 redcurrant bushes. Quite frankly if it wasn't for P, I wouldn't bother with anything other than strawberries, autumn raspberries and perhaps blueberries. The others are too tart fresh and I don't do desserts very often.
Gardening is an excuse not to do housework
Greetings from Salisbury
Qualified member of the Confused Nutter's Club 
[-] The following 2 users Like JJB's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Bren Offline
I'd go with raspberries and strawberries really anything that's red.

Yesterday I caught a Blackbird eating toms inside my GH  Angry   they won't get in again I've hung debris netting on the door, then charity shop net across the auto vents and louvers.
[-] The following 4 users Like Bren's post:
  • Can the Man, Farendwoman, JJB, Veggie