Roses
Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
All about Roses - Photos welcome. Smile
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
    Let's get this thread off the ground. 
I don't grow many roses because of the thorns (I'm a cissy).

This is Zephirine Drouhin  - thornless and smells like roses smelt when you were a kid and collected the petals to make "scent".
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 3 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Jay, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
(03-06-2020, 09:22 AM)Veggie Wrote: Let's get this thread off the ground. 
I don't grow many roses because of the thorns (I'm a cissy).

This is Zephirine Drouhin  - thornless and smells like roses smelt when you were a kid and collected the petals to make "scent".

That was one of my late father's favourite roses - the other was Longicuspis so he had no fear of thorns. When he became too ill to garden he would sit on a bench and direct with his cane while MrPP and I CAREFULLY took all of the growth off the pergola, cut out what he didn't want and then CAREFULLY tied the thing back up. Agony!

I've just planted up a bed with classic French Belle Epoque roses - no photos yet - and have a few rosa rugosa scattered around, mostly white but this one is stunning.

And we have Mermaid      over the pergola to give shade. She sheds little sticks with teeny thorns everywhere so perhaps not the best choice for a place where you sit and paddle around in bare feet!!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 3 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Scarlet, Small chilli, Veggie

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
It's my birthday this month and usually I get carp presents from my cycling obsessed husband - a helmet, a tandem, a big wide seat suitable for ladies bigger rears... etc etc Actually even a training bike one year!!

Today he said, you've an early birthday present arriving later on!!
It came in a David austin box!!

Wowee, the boy did good - a beauty of a rose. The Lark Ascending / a tall shrub rose with beautiful apricot blooms.
I forgot to take a photo but will add some tomorrow.

If anyone hasn't ever ordered from DA I would recommend- Everyone Ive ever had, has arrived looking very healthy.
[-] The following 3 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • Broadway, PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Look forward to seeing the photos Scarlet.
I agree DA is very good. I ordered a seven sisters from there for my Nan. A long long time ago.  She’d been looking for one for ages As it was a childhood memory, without success. 
I intend on ordering one for my new garden. I might get a bush type as well because there are some beautiful ones.
They may have to fend for themselves, I can’t be doing with demanding, attention seeking plants  Rolleyes . Especially vicious ones with thorns! 

Do roses really need as much attention as I’ve been lead to believe?
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
I think pruning puts people off?
I prune in Feb - and I do get trouble with black spot. If I don't cut the leaves off as soon as I see it ( or spray) I won't get repeat flowering. Although I do think it's certain varieties that get it more than others. So best to choose the varieties carefully.
I don't use any sprays/weed killers as  a rule but I have resorted to rose clear on a couple of occasions. On my climber there can be too many leaves to pick off. 
My husband choose this rose as it is generally trouble free. Unfortunately the photos don't do it justice. The colour is very delicate which doesn't come across in these photos.

The Lark Ascending Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Small chilli Offline
Super Pest Controller
Yeah pruning really puts me off. But I couldn’t really have a cottage garden without them.
Try again with your photos Scarlet. Something has gone pear shaped  Big Grin

Ignore me, I take to long to type things !

That is a beautiful colour.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Small chilli's post:
  • Scarlet

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
This is another peachy one that I have.

Carolyn Knight

A peach double flowering shrub rose. Growing to about 4ft tall. I've had it for about 4 years now and although it does have fabulous blooms it doesn't throw up many new stems and gets hit by black spot. I haven't used rose clear on it this year. Just picked off the affected leaves. It produced maybe a dozen blooms early in the season and I've not had a second flush yet. But even so, the first flush was pretty special. Fragrance is amazing.

#EDIT: I've just gone to check this rose out - maybe it needs longer in the ground to perform really well. It has a second flush of flower buds on. 5! It hasn't got any black spot after taking off its leaves. It's looking very healthy.
[-] The following 2 users Like Scarlet's post:
  • PyreneesPlot, Small chilli

Scarlet Offline
Super Pest Controller
Pruning takes just a few minutes - it's not a major job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scarlet's post:
  • Small chilli

Spec Offline
Has anyone grown old English Roses and if so do they give a good performance