Composting Productive Plants
PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Shocked 
I usually grow about 8 or 9 gherkin plants and that gives us enough for a year's supply of cornichons plus a few jars to give away/inflict on the innocent. This year I have 10 plants (over two sowings), but the first three are really productive and have already produced a year's supply of pickles.

It seems wrong to compost the rest of the plants before they've even produced a gherkin, but I don't want to spend any more money on vinegar for pickling, either. 

Should I keep on pickling and reckon to not grow any next year (and possibly the year after!) or just be hard-hearted, compost the lot and use the space for something else?!
Has Anyone Seen the Plot?

Hautes-Pyrénées (65), France
[-] The following 2 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, Veggie

Small chilli Online
Super Pest Controller
Are they all planted in the ground? If not just offer the plants to anyone that wants one , two or all. Even if they are in the ground offer them, you’re going to dig them up anyway. Or just keep picking and offer the freshly picked gherkins. Bench outside you house, fb groups, something like that.
Builder that would like to go play in the garden.
[-] The following 3 users Like Small chilli's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

Veggie Offline
Super Pest Controller
Eat them fresh - there must be a recipe somewhere.
The Moneyless Chicken says:- 
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without.
[-] The following 2 users Like Veggie's post:
  • Can the Man, Small chilli

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
Thanks both

(08-07-2022, 11:59 AM)Small chilli Wrote: Are they all planted in the ground? If not just offer the plants to anyone that wants one , two or all. Even if they are in the ground offer them, you’re going to dig them up anyway. Or just keep picking and offer the freshly picked gherkins. Bench outside you house, fb groups, something like that.

They're planted out and climbing already!
I've asked around and of course everybody's gherkins are doing well this year. Typical.
We don't really have people passing the house (one of the reasons for buying the plot) maybe 1 an hour, and that's the same locals anyway  Big Grin being on a road from nowhere to somewhere only slightly bigger. (But they still managed to issue us with number 493 when they decided all the houses in the village needed numbers. Our immediate neighbour is 457 Rolleyes )

(08-07-2022, 12:39 PM)Veggie Wrote: Eat them fresh - there must be a recipe somewhere.

They're quite bitter, we've eaten a few that grew too big and of course the 'proper' cucumbers are just about to flood me. 

I'm planning on cooking the rest that we harvest from the original three, and will probably stick some down by the gate, too.

I think the compost heap beckons ... But I do use a lot of compost.

[-] The following 4 users Like PyreneesPlot's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Small chilli, Veggie

Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
With inflation being what it is this year, I'd think about buying more vinegar if you have the jars to put them all in. Next year (and the year after?) you can grow more of something else in the space.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
For the time being the gherkins live!

• Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Veggie

Can the Man Offline
Can the Man with the van
Compost them - I hate the bloody things.  Angry
Coffee keeps me busy until it’s acceptable to drink whiskey.
[-] The following 3 users Like Can the Man's post:
  • JJB, PyreneesPlot, Veggie

PyreneesPlot Offline
Mountain Dweller
In the end they went to the compost heap as the drought and cuc mosaic virus combo struck them and some others down. But I have enough jars pickled for a year of apéros and tartar sauce!

• Can the Man, JJB, Mark_Riga, Small chilli