Does size matter in the garden?
Mark_Riga Offline
Member from Cheshire
I think most gardeners would like the opportunity to use a large space. So a lot depends on what you have and also what pests are in the area. Squirrels are an abominable pest and will steal all the cherries off a tree whether netted or not, likewise strawberries.

This year I've netted a smallish(?) area of brassicas to keep off butterflies and pigeons, about 10'x12'. we've had broccoli a few times already from it and there is quite a bit more coming. There are quite a few summer cabbage hearting up and we have already had a sweetheart one (half still in fridge). Kale, caulis and winter cabbage still to come. Not sure about the brussels are they seem to have been damaged by meally aphids. Some plants look to be damaged by cabbage fly as well. All in all should be able to have brassica of one type or other a couple of times a week till Christmas may be.

This year also I've planted a lot more potatoes (just treated them with slug nematodes) just in case the food shortage comes closer to home. I've dug up 16kg of earlies and was thinking of harvesting some 2nd earlies as they could start splitting with the recent rain. If you want a lot of something, you can't think too small.
[-] The following 4 users Like Mark_Riga's post:
  • Can the Man, JJB, Scarlet, Veggie

Messages In This Thread
Does size matter in the garden? - by Veggie - 30-06-2022, 07:31 PM
RE: Does size matter in the garden? - by JJB - 30-06-2022, 08:31 PM
RE: Does size matter in the garden? - by Mark_Riga - 30-06-2022, 09:21 PM
RE: Does size matter in the garden? - by Veggie - 30-06-2022, 09:59 PM
RE: Does size matter in the garden? - by JJB - 01-07-2022, 10:00 AM
RE: Does size matter in the garden? - by Vinny - 01-07-2022, 10:12 AM
RE: Does size matter in the garden? - by Veggie - 01-07-2022, 11:11 AM